Patch Package RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that the advertisment for software updates does not show what package that it is going to use. Unlike for the advertisment of normal software distribution, you have to specify the package that you are going to use. My question is how will the client know/determine what package to use for the installation of software updates?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 10:46 AM

Answers

• Another point to be made here is that clients don't download update packages at all. (To my knowledge, they don't even know about update packages.) They simply send a query to the MP containing the id of a patch/update and the MP returns a full path to that patch/update from *any* available and accesible package (pretty much what Kent said). Not every client needs every update so it makes sense that each client should only request and download the updates it needs regardless of what package they are in thus there's no need or reason to associate a package with an update deployment.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by swat101 Monday, August 6, 2012 3:18 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    The client will get the package source for each update from the SCCM server, when it is to deploy the updates. So there is nothing that needs to be configured for software update package.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by jdulongc Monday, August 6, 2012 11:13 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 11:01 AM
  • If for example I have two patch package: 1 package that contains the patches from January 2012 to July 2012, and another package that contains only the July 2012 patches. I then deploy those two packages to the distribution points. How will the client determine what package to get the software updates? Will it get the patches to the first or second package?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 11:16 AM
  • The client queries the MP for pacakge location and will get a reply where to find the updates/packages.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:27 AM
  • is there a log file that i can check on this?is it safe to say that if ever my january-july package was not installed on the dp, because of whatever reason, the client will still be able to download the package from my july package(assuming this package was installed successfully in the dp)?

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:39 AM
  • is there a log file that i can check on this?

Checkout locationservices.log to find out DP details. More Details 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sudheesn/archive/2010/11/10/troubleshooting-sccm-part-iii-software-updates.aspx

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

Monday, August 6, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Another point to be made here is that clients don't download update packages at all. (To my knowledge, they don't even know about update packages.) They simply send a query to the MP containing the id of a patch/update and the MP returns a full path to that patch/update from *any* available and accesible package (pretty much what Kent said). Not every client needs every update so it makes sense that each client should only request and download the updates it needs regardless of what package they are in thus there's no need or reason to associate a package with an update deployment.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by swat101 Monday, August 6, 2012 3:18 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 1:32 PM