Secondary DPM 2012 SP1 Errors 917, 943, 999 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a secondary DPM Server offsite, and for the past few weeks I've had a lot of trouble keeping the backups up to date. If I try to run a consistency check on too many items, say 5, it'll throw a 917 at me and generate a 999 with:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'DPMAMService'.  Restart the DPM process 'DPMAMService'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>7/1/2013 2:18:50 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertController..ctor(DpmServer serverName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.InitializeProtection()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.GetProtectionGroups()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.GetDatasourceWithId(Guid dsId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.ReplicaAlert.get_Datasource()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.ReplicaAlert.CommonConstruct()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.ReplicaAlert.Update(AlertStateChange alertEvent)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.Alert..ctor(AlertStateChange alertEvent, DpmServer server)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.ReplicaAlert..ctor(AlertStateChange alertEvent, DpmServer server)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertFactory.CreateAlert(AlertStateChange alertEvent, DpmServer server)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertController.AddAlertToCache(AlertStateChange alertEvent)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertController.SyncAlertModify(Object sender)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Utils.ThreadMarshaller.Raise(Object state)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Utils.ThreadMarshaller.QueueItem.Run()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Utils.ThreadMarshaller.SyncThread.ThreadStartFunc()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Immediately following the 999,  there are two windows error reporting event id 1001 with the following information:

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: DPMException
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: DPMAMService
    P2: 4.1.3313.0
    P3: DPMAMService.exe
    P4: 4.1.3313.0
    P5: System.NullReferenceException
    P6: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertController..ctor
    P7: 826E9121
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Windows\Temp\tmp46B3.xml
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp\DPMAccessManagerCurr.errlog.2013-07-01_14-18-50.Crash
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER87E3.tmp.hdmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WERC8E5.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Critical_DPMAMService_fe8f5f6e736ee9f4b1417fa5a235d9250dcaec7_cab_111ad7c8

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 3304fe99-e259-11e2-8503-00155d01db01
    Report Status: 4
    Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to have to rebuild my secondary DPM server if I can avoid it. If you need additional information, just let me know and I'll get it posted ASAP.

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

• Closing for housekeeping.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:31 PM