none
DPM Recovery Question RRS feed

• Question

• Please excuse me this is my first post and I am NOT an expert on DPM although I am doing my best to learn it quickly.  I have created several protection groups.  All the groups are set up pretty much the same.  The only difference is that some are files and some are databases.  My manager has noticed that when he went to recover a folder, the recovery point amounts for the items were different.  The files show recovery point amount of 6 while the databases show recovery point totals of 519.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to make sure this is exactly how it's supposed to function?  I created all these groups and set everything up per my Manager's instruction.  We upgraded from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010.  Is this normal or not?  Thanks guys.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Jose,

DPM uses two different ways of managing your workloads in your domain. Application backup and file backup. The both way uses seperate backup schedules, you can run Express-full backup for your files three times a day anf for your applications 8 times a day.

For those workloads that has transactional logs you got the apility to syncronize your data up to every 15 minutes. Those are SQL and Excahnge enviroments. File services isn't a transactional log system but you're able to syncronize your file share up to every 15 minutes also.

What you should do is to go through you production servers and verify what runs on them, SQL, Exchange, SharePoint and so on. Catagorize those workloads depending on your restore process. For example, your Exchange enviroment need perhaps more frequent syncronization than your file server share.

I hope this claryfies something for you. Please don't hessitate to ask more =)

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Jose,

DPM uses two different ways of managing your workloads in your domain. Application backup and file backup. The both way uses seperate backup schedules, you can run Express-full backup for your files three times a day anf for your applications 8 times a day.

For those workloads that has transactional logs you got the apility to syncronize your data up to every 15 minutes. Those are SQL and Excahnge enviroments. File services isn't a transactional log system but you're able to syncronize your file share up to every 15 minutes also.

What you should do is to go through you production servers and verify what runs on them, SQL, Exchange, SharePoint and so on. Catagorize those workloads depending on your restore process. For example, your Exchange enviroment need perhaps more frequent syncronization than your file server share.

I hope this claryfies something for you. Please don't hessitate to ask more =)

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the helpful response.  I certainly appreciate it!

So please correct me if I am wrong.  Because some items chosen have transactional logs (SOL & Exchange), they require more synchronization and therefore will create more Recovery Points while the opposite occurs for File services correct?  I'm just trying to figure out why so many more Recovery Points. 

Jose

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Yes thats right

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:17 PM