Desktop redirection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi our client has emailed us with the following details:

Well the picture and icons have changed 4 times this morning and the icons keep reverting back to different places away from where I have positioned them.  I deleted a load of them yesterday and sometimes they keeping coming back, then the pic changes and they have gone again.

We know that this is to do with redirection but i am unsure as to how to turn it off for these users.

They have windows 7 professional computers

Company has Windows server 2008 R2

If you need anymore details please let me know.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please check the target of folder redirection. I suspect that this is caused by redirection policy, you may also check the related policy in GPO.

Also, the following article is for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242557

Note: this also suits for Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please check the target of folder redirection. I suspect that this is caused by redirection policy, you may also check the related policy in GPO.

Also, the following article is for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242557

Note: this also suits for Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:26 AM
  • If you are using GPO Preferences to do your folder redirection, than it's easy to revert back. Just find the GPO which is reponsible for the folder redirection in your organization and edit the settings of the by right clicking "Desktop" and choosing "Properties" under [User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection]. Under the "Settings" tab, you should check the checkbox "redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed" option. 

If you have used a script or another method for the folder redirection, than you can revert it with a custom logon script.

Kubilay Elmas MCITP (Enterprise Desktop Administrator Windows 7)
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:05 PM