Active Desktop support in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Does Vista support Active Desktop?

Out Situation:

We have 10 000 desktop deployed with our custom Active Desktop backgroup.
    We are currently deploying Vista on some IT test computer and Active desktop 
    does not seem to be working.

Thanks for any tips and help

John B

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:45 PM

All replies

• No. Support for Active Desktop was removed in Windows Vista.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Is Microsoft considering bringing it back?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:04 AM
  • I don't believe so. It was a major cause of system instability and a significant performance hog, plus the functionality has been largely superceded by sidebar gadgets.

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:45 AM
  • Hi

Is there a multiplatform solution for deploying desktop backgrounds across multiple users? until everyone has all the same windows platforms that is.... perhaps a web based solutions,, acrive desktop seemed ok to me,??

cheers

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:41 AM
  • I would imagine that people who only used the Active Desktop for small IE windows might not miss it.  The gadget thing clutters the desktop, just like all those web pages would.  I used the desktop with a single HTML script to change my wallpaper four times a day.  All it did was check the clock settings and as time passed I had day, evening, night and dawn photos of the Statue of Liberty.  That's all I want.

If I get time (ha!), I guess I could try a batch file that would run at startup and stay resident, but that's like taking four steps backward to MS-DOS days.  Has anyone come up with another solution?

Lo'

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:53 PM
  • It appears that the active desktop is gone. I used it a lot!!

Hey Billy, I want it back or at least the option.

Jeff

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:54 PM
  •  

Hi,

From the few families of machines that I have seen, the default wallpaper that seems to be loading is the

c:\windows\web\img24.jpg file. As a simple fix, you could simply write a script that would replace all your img24.jpg files with your custom bmp or jpg.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:16 PM