none
Projec Professional chanjging Start Date of the project while accepting status updates and also showing error that a particular task date starts before a project start date which is not case . RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Recently PWA started acting up differently when one of my porject managers accpted the project plan it is pushing the project start date to some previous date also it is showing that a perticular task;s start date is before the project starts.

For the time being we are not accepting any status updates for that plan but will have to do so in near future and also if are trying to change the start date manually it is saying that we might loose the data as we have protected actuals against it .

Please if anybody have faced this issue and have resolved it help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Anurag

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:13 PM

All replies

• Anurag, Are the updates submitted by the resources accurate? Did the work occur before the originally defined project start date? If not, the solution should be to get the resources to correct the input and resubmit.

If the work really did start earlier than scheduled, that should not cause the entries on other tasks to be disturbed. It is permissible to have work before the project start date but, as you have seen, there will be a warning about it.

I am not sure what the effect would be if the task being reported has two assignments - and the first reported assignment update was in line with the original project start date. The second update (the one before the original project start date) shouldn't upset the first update but the message you quote makes one wonder...

Graham

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hi  Graham,

Tell me one thing , when i open the project plan it give me a dialog box with warning that a particular task has a start date before the project start date. 

What if i press Ok on that dialog box. what will happen when i do that will i loose my actuals so far so what ?

Please help on this.

Thanks

Regards, Anurag

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Anurag, that message is intended as an alert that you have a task earlier than you originally expected. It does not stop the update from being applied (actually, the update has already been applied) and it should not upset other tasks with actuals. I haven't tested the case where there are two assignments being reported with actuals for the same task, one as scheduled starting on the project start date and the other starting earlier than the project start date. In principle, there should be no problem and you should not lose any updates..

Graham

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:33 PM