Corrupted File RRS feed

• Question

• My Dell Dimension won't start up. The message on the black screen reads:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I used every CD I have from the original computer, but it won't reboot from the CD, and the CD doesn't even spin for more than a few seconds after I insert it.

Could someone please let me know how to fix this?

Thanks! Theresa

Friday, December 2, 2011 3:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You will need to boot into some type of recovery or rescue mode to resolve this.

If you can get a Windows disk and boot to command prompt you can run the following command

Chkdsk C: /f /r  

This will scan the NTFS filesystem and /f will force the scan while /r will repair or attempt to repair any errors encountered.

Once complete, remove the boot CD and restart the PC and hopefully all should be fine.

I personally use a USB bootable version of Windows which I tailored for my own needs, however there are several other versions out there which you can find.

If you are tech savvy and can manage to put the hard drive into another working PC as a slave, you can use the same command just ensure the drive letter is correct for the drive in question

EG> Chkdsk X: /f /r     (Where X is the respective drive letter)

Also make sure you do not navigate the drive using the other PC (Especially if you experience a prompt (DO YOU WISH TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE) as you could potentially loose all your data.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• hello ,-you should go to bios to make your computer to boot from cd(press f2 at start) but first if you have info you should save it connect the hdd to another computer get your info, start your computer and follow the steps, the setup will guide you to reinstall your system, ( check youtube, for boot from cd )  good luck...

any help is well appreciated, it all depends on who needs it
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Hi,

You will need to boot into some type of recovery or rescue mode to resolve this.

If you can get a Windows disk and boot to command prompt you can run the following command

Chkdsk C: /f /r  

This will scan the NTFS filesystem and /f will force the scan while /r will repair or attempt to repair any errors encountered.

Once complete, remove the boot CD and restart the PC and hopefully all should be fine.

I personally use a USB bootable version of Windows which I tailored for my own needs, however there are several other versions out there which you can find.

If you are tech savvy and can manage to put the hard drive into another working PC as a slave, you can use the same command just ensure the drive letter is correct for the drive in question

EG> Chkdsk X: /f /r     (Where X is the respective drive letter)

Also make sure you do not navigate the drive using the other PC (Especially if you experience a prompt (DO YOU WISH TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE) as you could potentially loose all your data.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:11 PM