Error While Opening Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to open office outlook 2003 on windows 7 i get the error message "A probloem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windwos will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." It closes then trys to open in safe mode but that doesn't work either. I figured their would be a patch but couldn't find one on the internet anywhere. Anyone have any clue how to fix this. It is a brand new pc with windows 7 already preloaded and quad core 64 home premium with 6 gig ram?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

This issue may occur if third party program affects Outlook or if the Outlook program is corrupted. 

I suggest running it in Clean Boot mode first.

If the issue persists, I suggest repairing the Office program:

1. Click the Start button, type APPWIZ.CPL in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. High light Office 2003 and click Repair.

You may also want to remove and reinstall this program.

If the issue persists, you can collect Event Log and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Event Log

=========

1. Click Start button, input "eventvwr" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.

3. In the left pane, click Windows logs to expand the subfolders.

4. Right click the Application Log and choose Save Events As. Choose Desktop in the left list, and save the log file using app as the name.

Find the file in the Desktop, right-click, choose "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder. Upload the file.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:33 AM

All replies

• I am having the same issue and I believe it is because I did not configure my Outlook server properly, but now I cannot find how to go and modify the entry as Outlook keeps trying to open with the wrong configuration and then gives me an error and closes.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hi, 

This issue may occur if third party program affects Outlook or if the Outlook program is corrupted. 

I suggest running it in Clean Boot mode first.

If the issue persists, I suggest repairing the Office program:

1. Click the Start button, type APPWIZ.CPL in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. High light Office 2003 and click Repair.

You may also want to remove and reinstall this program.

If the issue persists, you can collect Event Log and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Event Log

=========

1. Click Start button, input "eventvwr" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.

3. In the left pane, click Windows logs to expand the subfolders.

4. Right click the Application Log and choose Save Events As. Choose Desktop in the left list, and save the log file using app as the name.

Find the file in the Desktop, right-click, choose "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder. Upload the file.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Vivian, I am having a problem.  I have tried the fix you suggested and installed office SP3 as well with no success.  I have uploaded my Event Log.  Can you please take a look?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hi bsgillis:

What issue is encountered? it is recommended split it into different thread to better understand the problem & reply for all community members, which will also make the whole thread clearer, concise and fast the reply for your reference. Thank you.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Vivian, I have fixed this issue.  Now if I could get the freezing while saving office files problem corrected everything would be great...

Friday, December 11, 2009 2:24 AM
  • bsgillis,

Can you share with me how you were able to resolve the problem with running Outlook 2003 on Windows 7? I plan on buying several Win7 pc's and laptops and want to be sure most Office 03 apps will be compatible. Thanks in advance!

Patrick
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Patrick, I ran an upgrade instead of a clean install so the Outlook profile already existed.  Once I deleted the profile and re-created it, the issue went away.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:04 PM