DLink DNS-320 NAS looses connection during write RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been using a Dlink DNS-320 as a NAS storage for several years without trouble. It is configured with 2 drives in RAID 1 configuration. It reports the drives work as expected (when connecting to it via its IP address in a browser).

The update to Windows 10 did not change anything to connectivity, everything used to work well. But recently (maybe after a Windows update?) it started to have problems.

I can read its content, stream media, etc, without problems. But when triting to it (typically photo folders being transfered for storage) it often (not always) looses connection during or at the beginning of the writing process.. I am under the impression that larger numbers of files are more likely to fail. This occurs whether I am using File explorer, a program such as Lightroom, but not with a file explorer on my Android devices via wifi.

When it occurs (and that is most of the time) the NAS becomes unavailable, I cannot browse files on it, read files, Widnows reports it as missing and recommends I check my connection. Waiting a short while brings it back on, and I can try again. If a transfer is successful, the next one will always fail. Meanwhile, I can access the NAS via a web browser without problem.

I have tested two routers and that didn't change anything.

What is going on?

Thank you.

• Edited by bdery Friday, September 2, 2016 12:04 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:33 AM

Answers

• Okay, I found the answer. I'll write it down in case it helps someone else.

The problem was caused by the way Windows and the NAS manage the NAS's recycle bin. When using another OS/device (such as a tablet or cell phone) writing to the NAS simply overwrites anything that's in the recycle bin. However, Windows won't write over anything that has not been permanently deleted. It appears my recycle bin was too large for the remaining capacity of the drives, which caused the problems.

I don't know why sometimes the transfers worked and at other times they didn't, but now that I've emptied the NAS's recycle bin everything is back to working as it should.

Bernard Dery

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:07 PM

All replies

• This is tricky to troubleshoot. You have a few options where the first is most likely to help:

1. Since Windows 10, MS does not test their updates but push it out and see what happens. You are most likely a victim of one of those updates. Hence, figure out a date when it did work and uninstall all updates after that date. I had to revert to a previous build on the 10 once. It did make a difference!
    2. If you know your Wireshark and have a Win 7 computer you can connect to the NAS, you can compare the traffic with your Win 10 when it fails. Pretty advanced and why should you debug a MS product anyway?

Best regards, George

Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Hi bdery,

Have you tried to update the firmware of the NAS device from the device manufacturer website?
    "even a file explorer on my Android devices via wifi."
    Since the issue could occur when we use different devices, it could be caused by the NAS device itself. You may try to ask for help from the device manufacturer support at the same time.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hi George, 

I don't know Wireshark, so that's probably not an option. Also, never upgrading Windows 10 again doesn't seem like a good option.

I made a mistake in my original post, when mentioning wifi. I edited my post, which was meant to read that there is no problem over wifi. It's strictly Windows which has a problem. Using the web interface doesn't let me move files around but I've never disconnected from the NAS using that interface, and even when File Explorer looses the connection the browser can still operate the NAS.

Bernard Dery

Friday, September 2, 2016 12:07 PM
  • "wifi is not a problem, it's Windows" .... Please elaborate ..

Best regards, George

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Well, let's break it down again:

1-doing any type of transfer over wifi works flawlessly

2-accessing the NAS's menus from a browser works flawlessly, even when Windows File Explorer reports that the NAS is disconnected

3-transferring FROM the NAS to the PC works without problems. Accessing files (for instance, browsing files using Lightroom, viewing a video, etc)

4-transferring files TO the NAS FROM Windows, whatever the mean (File Explorer, Lightroom, whatever) causes the problems mentioned above.

5-This did not occur until recently (somewhere at the beginning of August).

6-The NAS's firmware is up to date.

That's why I claim that Windows is the problem.

Bernard Dery

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Okay, I found the answer. I'll write it down in case it helps someone else.

The problem was caused by the way Windows and the NAS manage the NAS's recycle bin. When using another OS/device (such as a tablet or cell phone) writing to the NAS simply overwrites anything that's in the recycle bin. However, Windows won't write over anything that has not been permanently deleted. It appears my recycle bin was too large for the remaining capacity of the drives, which caused the problems.

I don't know why sometimes the transfers worked and at other times they didn't, but now that I've emptied the NAS's recycle bin everything is back to working as it should.

Bernard Dery

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Hi bdery,

I am glad the issue has been resolved and thanks for updating. Please remember to mark the reply to close the case.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 16, 2016 8:39 AM