Enabling mouse in CentOS 6.0 VM? RRS feed

• Question

• I just set up a CentOS 6 VM on Server '08 R2 and with the new Linux Integration Services 3.1 setup was a breeze - thanks so much for the pre-built RPMs and not having to build the components yourself anymore!  However, it seems that there's no mouse support and the Satori drivers won't build against the new platform, so I'm left with an unenlightened mouse, which is kind of a hassle.  What's the plan for getting full mouse support for the newly supported OSes?
    • Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:27 PM (From:Hyper-V)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:26 PM

Answers

• We're currently hard at work, modifying the existing mouse code to sync it with the changes that went in to hv_vmbus.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:13 AM

All replies

• We're currently hard at work, modifying the existing mouse code to sync it with the changes that went in to hv_vmbus.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Is there any good news for mouse support?
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Apparently after 3 months, you're still hard at work on this. Fine, but can you at least give us a clue as to what the eventual distribution channel will be? It would be helpful to know where we can watch for your eventual release:

• Refresh of the xen.org download "inputvsc.iso"?
    • Refresh of the microsoft.com download "Linux IC v3.0.iso"?
    • New (separate) download on microsoft.com?
    • Other?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:21 PM
  • There different reasons why there is still no driver available:

• Kernel.org was down for quite some time, a long queue of patches have only been merged a couple of weeks ago
    • MS seems to want things first in upstream before they consider a backport for RHEL.
    • Upstream Linux 3.2 will have a a working hv_mouse module, it's Citrix's inputvsc revamped and now completely open source
      (working code has been merged end of October into mainline after 3.1 was released, inputvsc contained some closed bits)
    • It's very likely MS will do a backport for the RHEL6 kernel once they consider hv_mouse enough stable for supported binary release
      (you do want a stable driver with an enterprise linux, right?)

Expect MS to make an updated version of the Linux IC ISO. The original Satori project is quite deprecated now with existance hv_mouse.

Just a short question - why do you guys need hv_mouse that urgently - do you seriously have production Linux servers with Xorg installed? (other than for terminal service) My first Linux on Hyper-V dates back to Ubuntu 8.04 and I have never really had the need for a working mouse on the local VM screen.

• Edited by koffi2k Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Just a short question - why do you guys need hv_mouse that urgently - do you seriously have production Linux servers with Xorg installed? (other than for terminal service) My first Linux on Hyper-V dates back to Ubuntu 8.04 and I have never really had the need for a working mouse on the local VM screen.

I would love this myself since I need my Linux VMs to support it since I do a lot of android development applications.

I know there are other solutions, I know there are workarounds, but if I already have Hyper-V with most of my systems virtualized, then why should I resort to client machine dual-boot or local VMWare installs, this just calls for trouble on other levels, so in a way, this is really important for me and my colleagues.

Good luck!
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:00 PM
  • OK, makes sense. - But have you considered using some sort of remote (X) clients?

The client can be installed on the parent partition, or remotely like you'd use RDP for Windows today. For example - if you want to stick with RDP on the client side, you could have a look at 'xrdp' server package. It is not part of the officially supported packages but it's in EPEL (Extras Package for Enterprise Linux) and is part of the RH-sponsored Fedora project. Here is the information from my RHEL VM:

# yum info xrdp
    Loaded plugins: changelog, downloadonly, etckeeper, merge-conf, presto, product-id, remove-with-leaves, rhnplugin, security, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    Available Packages
    Name        : xrdp
    Arch        : x86_64
    Version     : 0.5.0
    Release     : 0.13.el6
    Size        : 240 k
    Repo        : epel
    Summary     : Open source remote desktop protocol (RDP) server
    URL         : http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
    License     : GPLv2+ with exceptions
    Description : The goal of this project is to provide a fully functional Linux terminal
                : server, capable of accepting connections from rdesktop and Microsoft's own
                : terminal server / remote desktop clients.

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:35 PM