Printer Server in Clustered Environment Spoolsv.exe Fails Every Couple of Minutes. RRS feed

• Question

• Below is the error message that I continuously receive. None of my printers are using Web Services. I receive Event ID 1069 on the cluster logs and error 1000 in the system events log.

Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6002.18294, time stamp 0x4c6aa29a, faulting module wsdapi.dll, version 6.0.6002.18085, time stamp 0x4a8016ff, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000057180, process id 0x1c30, application start time 0x01cb7a9766392452.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:33 PM

Answers

• I believe I have resolved my issue. There were two unused WSD ports on my print server. I created two printers using these ports and then deleted both. I haven't had an issue since that time. I will continue to monitor the situation to see if it's resolved.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, November 5, 2010 1:40 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Clustered spooler and WSD transport are not the best match.  You are experencing the kb related failure in wsdapi.dll.  There is a fix but I suggest sticking with Standard TCP/IP Port.  You are a smart guy, you figured out how to delete the WSD port. 

The Print Spooler process (Spoolsv.exe) crashes after you install a Web Services for Devices (WSD) printer driver on a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949204

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello Todd,

We might have to take a dump of spoolsv.exe pocess to find out the cuase of it.

Please follow below mention steps to take a dump of the process.

Install the AD Plus tool from the following location

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx >>> 32 Bit machine
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx >>> 64 Bit Machine

Create the folder “adplus” on the C drive
    Also change the file name from "adplus_old.vbs" to "adplus.vbs" which is located at
    C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)

Start print spooler.
    Open the command prompt
    Change the directory to \program file\debugging tools for windows
    Type the command         “cscript adplus.vbs -crash -pn spoolsv.exe -o c:\adplus”
    Click OK and acknowledge the warning message.
    Again click OK and acknowledge the second warning message.

The dump will now be created in  c:\adplus whenver it crashes.
    Follow same steps to collect 2 dumps of the spoolsv.exe process.

Once you have the dump file, send me an e mail on fifthman_roshan@yahoo.com with the attached dump file. (You might have to zip the adplus folder and attach it.)

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

If there is any newly installed printer on the Printer Server, please remove it and verify if this issue will occur again.

In this case, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:01 AM
  • I believe I have resolved my issue. There were two unused WSD ports on my print server. I created two printers using these ports and then deleted both. I haven't had an issue since that time. I will continue to monitor the situation to see if it's resolved.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Clustered spooler and WSD transport are not the best match.  You are experencing the kb related failure in wsdapi.dll.  There is a fix but I suggest sticking with Standard TCP/IP Port.  You are a smart guy, you figured out how to delete the WSD port. 

The Print Spooler process (Spoolsv.exe) crashes after you install a Web Services for Devices (WSD) printer driver on a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949204

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:46 PM
    Answerer
  • We use a W2k8 R2 as our Printserver, i got the same Error MSG as the Threadstarter.

Todds Answer helped me a lot. Since i deleted the WSD Ports ( which were unused ), i never got a spoolsv.exe crash.

As i found out, some printers ( IBM Infoprint ) create those WSD ports. But the normal TCP/IP Port is used.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Just posting as I had the same issue but found a different solution.... (The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this * time(s). Event 7034)

Running SBS 2008 64x

Networked with 20+ workstations using the printers on the server.

Some time in the afternoon the printer stopped printing..... checked the print spooler and it was stopped. I restarted it, and it stopped again within 10 seconds. When is stopped all the printers where gone. I tried to restart it several times and it stopped over and over. All the workstations printer icons were grayed out. Every ones print queues were stacking up.

What solved it????

I cleaned out all the queues in all the printers, the server had a bunch of junk it was trying to print but it had one stuck in it from when it started happening( a large image file someone tried to print).

It took me a few minutes to do it as I had to keep starting the print spooler to do it! I got faster each time!

Hope this helps!

Monty
    • Proposed as answer by mont_mont Friday, July 15, 2011 3:09 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:19 PM