none
Autodiscover still picking up decommissioned exchange server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good Afternoon,

    We are currently experiencing an issue where a decommissioned Exchange 2007 server is still showing up in our Autodiscover tests.  The tests will flip, wen ran, between showing the decommissioned server and, when ran again shows the server it is meant to be pointing to for the internal URL's.

    I have checked the Configuration in ADSIEdit and I cannot see any settings with the old server name.  We've restarted IIS several times across the entire exchange organisation, which works for a few moment, but then starts to flip between the two servers again.

    The internal Autodiscover DNS entry points to one of our additional servers, it is a CNAME instead of an A record.

    I've removed the servers DNS entry, but the autodiscover is still trying to connect to it.

    I am now at a loss as to what is happening, as I cannot see any SCP in the Configuration at all.

    Thanks

    Kal


    Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:57 AM

Answers

  • Well that is different.  You said that you were getting Autodiscover URLs pointed to the wrong server.  Based on what you just posted, you should be looking at Exchange Web Services virtual directories.  I'll bet one of them has a wrong URL.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Marked as answer by Kalain1 Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:56 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • So it sounds to me like the "decommissioned" server was never properly uninstalled.

    If you enter the following, does the Exchange 2007 server show up in the list?

    Get-ExchangeServer

    Get-ClientAccessServer

    If so, then the server wasn't uninstalled properly.

    If not, if you enter the following, do you see the old URL in the list?

    Get-ClientAccessServer | FT Name,AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri

    If you do, then change it to a valid URL with Set-ClientAccessServer.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:39 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ed,

    Thanks for the response. I do agree that it appears to not have had a clean 'Decommission", even though the removal process said that it had been removed.

    I've ran the commands and the decommissioned server does not exist in any of the lists, and there is no AD entry for it.

    This is almost like a cached version is still being picked up from somewhere.  Where that somewhere is, I do not know.  I've looked on the remaining servers, via registry, to see if there is still any lingering information, but nothing is showing up.  It could be that I'm missing something.

    Thanks,

    Kal

    Friday, February 2, 2018 8:52 AM
  • Did you enter the last command I posted?

    Get-ClientAccessServer | FT Name,AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    Monday, February 5, 2018 7:29 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ed,

    I did indeed and the server is not there.  

    Below is the current list of servers, excluding the one that was decommissioned.

    And below show the Outlook Autoconfig Test, where the old server, circled in red, is still showing up.

    This is causing issues with the Availability Service and I cannot see where this information is stored or even cached.

    Kind regards

    Kal

    Monday, February 5, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Well that is different.  You said that you were getting Autodiscover URLs pointed to the wrong server.  Based on what you just posted, you should be looking at Exchange Web Services virtual directories.  I'll bet one of them has a wrong URL.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Marked as answer by Kalain1 Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ed,

    I checked through all of the internalURL's and it turns out that the InternalNLBBypassUrl was pointing to the old server and the InternalUrl was pointing to the correct servers, itself.

    I  tried to change the INternalNLBBypassUrl but Outlook clients were still pointing to the old Sibexchange server.

    Removed the EWS Directory and rebuilt it and now everything matches up and users are getting the Free/Busy data.

    Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i was under the presumption that both URL's were fine.

    Regards,

    Kal

    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:52 AM
  • Yes, that's a misconfiguration.  The InternalNLBBypassURL should point to the local server name's URL. 

    You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!


    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:52 PM
    Moderator