none
The timesheet that I have created has some values automatically. Non-one entered these values. What would cause this issue and how to prevent and fix it. RRS feed

• Question

• The timesheet that I have created has some values automatically. Non-one entered these values. What would cause this issue and how to prevent and fix it.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:42 PM

Answers

• Now i can reproduce your issue and found that 

This is not actually a direct issue, but a indirect issue caused by updating project Plan through 
    My tasks page first and not syncing it through Time sheet. 
    When i marked % work complete on a task that is scheduled to end in future through My Tasks page, without changing the start and Finish dates.

Once your project manager accepts these updates and publishes the task, 
    MS project fills in the actual hours as planned and pre-populates your timesheet as well. 
    At this point it is upto the user to update the Timesheets and sync them back with My Tasks page.

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, December 27, 2013 5:56 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi AKJ,

Can you please tell us more? Where do you see those values? In the approved timesheet? In the project plan?What kind of investigation have do done? Do you have any delegation sessions ongoing?

We'll be pleased to help you.

Regards.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:33 PM
  • These values are not there when I open the work plan in Project Professional 2010.
    The values are showing up in  Project Web App.
    My colleagues have confirmed no-one, has entered these values, even by the mistake.

This is impacting everyone's timesheets.

Also the end date one particular task gets changed for God knwows what reasons, every time I open the plan.

Yes there are ongoing delegations..
    But i am not sure how it would matter?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:42 PM
  • So you're talking about planned work in the timesheet?

Have the project plans been published? Could the resources have assignments on other projects that would correspond to those new values? Also have you checked out assignment owners? Do you find those values in the resource assignments (from the resource center)? Also are you looking at the right period?

Planned work values in timesheet come from assignments on enterprise resource published from a project plan, thus those "automatic" values must have been entered somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Adding more to Rouyre, Aks your Project Owner/Manager whether he has changed the % complete for the project or tasks manually.

I have faced same issue and after investigation i found no one has filled value in timesheet but project owner changed the % complete for task then published the project plan that is why my users were facing the issue.

kirtesh

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Yes, the values are appearing in resource assignment as well.

no-one has entered the values accidentally.

The person who opens the plan is only one and he has not used % complete column.

as fas the question of scheduling concerned they are using auto scheduling not manual....
    Could this s problems.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:41 AM
  • If you are using SEM then make sure that none of the resource has entered value in My Task pan.

Are users facing this issue for specific task for specific period?

You can also ask users to recreate the timesheet for the specific period and then check.

Values are showing in PWA only because once user will submit timesheet and timesheet manager will accept it then project get published then value will come to Project professional when you open project.

kirtesh

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Unfortunately this is not what is happening..

Answers to your questions.

No one is entering values for the that specific time period, it is obivious why will someone enter the time for future period.

Also, how is that possible that all of the team members have started to fill time on the time sheet for one specific time period.

I am sure they are not doing it..

It was possible if it was just one person..

I doubt that it would happen.

This all causes confusion, the values are not just dummy values, approvers are getting notified for these and the status is In Progress.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if any one is applies to you:

• When you add nonwork administrative time to a timesheet for a period when actual work is already reported, the actual work may be moved to a different date on the timesheet. Or, the time-phased values may be changed to different values. However, the total actual work value remains the same.
    • When you change the base calendar for a resource, the total actual work value for an assignment remains the same. However, the dates on which the work appears are changed.
    • When you change the calendar for a resource, the actual work that is already reported is recontoured. For example, you have an assignment that starts on Friday. You work for 8 hours on Friday and for 8 hours on Monday. When you change the calendar for the resource to 24 hours per day, the actual work value is displayed as 3.17 hours on Friday, 4.73 hours on Saturday and Sunday, and 3.35 hours on Monday. When this behavior occurs, the total work value remains the same. However, the timephased values shift.

if yes then please let us know.

kirtesh

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:44 AM
  • If a person enters percent complete or clicks the button 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% on task ribbon, project will assume actual hours. 

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:22 AM
  • Now i can reproduce your issue and found that 

This is not actually a direct issue, but a indirect issue caused by updating project Plan through 
    My tasks page first and not syncing it through Time sheet. 
    When i marked % work complete on a task that is scheduled to end in future through My Tasks page, without changing the start and Finish dates.

Once your project manager accepts these updates and publishes the task, 
    MS project fills in the actual hours as planned and pre-populates your timesheet as well. 
    At this point it is upto the user to update the Timesheets and sync them back with My Tasks page.

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, December 27, 2013 5:56 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Thank you for this valuable information. Could you please provide a little more information.

You have mentioned - "When you add nonwork administrative time to a timesheet for a period when actual work is already reported, the actual work may be moved to a different date on the timesheet."

Could you please let me know how this can be done actually. I want to understand how this mistake can be made. I need to know this so that I can make myself aware of what could go wrong by taking what steps. Basically, I wanted to know how a person can submit time for a period for which the creator of the plan or approver of tasks/timesheets has already approved administrative Time. I suppose the person who submits the must not be able to do this in the first place.

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:56 AM