Windows 2012 R2 setup Remote Desktop Services on Single Server in a Non Domain want to use RD Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• I setup Remote Desktop Services on a Windows 2012 R2 on a single server without a domain for testing purposes. I want to publish a couple of apps and use RD Web access. I installed RD web access and i can login using local\testuser but my current folder is empty. I didn't install any Tcals as this is just test environment for 1 user. 

I would think i can test it before i can deploy. Please help!

Thanks in advanced

Jimmy lan

Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Jimmy,

Please check TP's comment within this thread below:

"Server 2012 RDS is designed under the basic premise that RDS servers will be joined to a domain, at least one RD Connection Broker will be present, and that RDSH servers will be managed as a collection using Server Manager (and/or powershell).  Same is true for Virtual Desktops (VMs), they are designed to be managed as a collection.

Now, it is not impossible to have a RDSH server that is not joined to a domain and/or not a member of a collection.  The thing to keep in mind is that most of the tools provided to make managing/configuring RDSH servers easier in 2012 will not work in a workgroup configuration.  This includes most (if not all) of the new powershell commands and server manager.  Most of the old powershell commands and GUI programs that would have allowed you to configure/manage a standalone RDSH server have been removed."

Managing server 2012 RDS in a workgroup

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cbffb2d4-ff9d-49ee-a9ce-a60db2262422/managing-server-2012-rds-in-a-workgroup?forum=winserverTS

Therefore, I suggest you create a domain and join the server into the domain to perform further tests.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, July 4, 2017 8:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, July 10, 2017 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, July 4, 2017 8:03 AM