Locking Workstations running Windows XP SP3 on a Windows 2003 Server Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have around 100 XP workstations on a 2003 Domain.  I have group policy applying on some of these power users that their PCs lock automatically after 10 minutes and I'm going to apply it to the rest as best security practice soon.

Only problem is that 1st line support going to that PC when the user isn't there cannot access their desktop and troubleshoot problems.  Sure they can override and login as the local or domain admin to get access to the PC but they cannot then perhaps experience the exact problem the user has logged.

Is there anyway around this or what does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Logging from local admin ID works? I'm not clear here, if user is logged in then ideally admin users should be able to log the user off. 

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

Yes but if you login as admin it flushes any unsaved work the user has going on in their locked session and then logs you into the XP box with the admin profile.  Sometimes you can't troubleshoot problems on their machine unless its logged in with their user account.

I wondered if there was any technical way around this?  Backup plan if not is just to ask them for their network password if they're away from their PC and we need to hop on to fix a problem.

Thanks

Martin

Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Use can use Fast user switching. : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

In this case user will retain their data, even when admin logs in. 

Just for info : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279782/en-gb

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Any updates?

Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:14 PM