none
Can't open .html/.htm files using ie 8 and ie 9 from download dialog box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I saw something weird today with IE 8 and IE 9 (didn't check for later IE versions).

Issue:-

I had an email with .html file as attachment, and default program for opening .html files set as IE. When I try to view the attachment, a dialog box pops up (download manager) which asks to open or save the file.

In IE 9:- I don't get an option to open the file. Dialog box only displays option to save the file.

In IE8:- I see the option to open the file, but nothing happens when I click the 'open' option.

However, when I change the default program to open .html files (to any other browser,or even a text editor), I see the option to open the file in IE 9, and clicking on 'open' button opens up the file in IE 8, which, in other words, resolves the issue.

Related :- (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/41eed441-0d88-4f5b-9f10-49ebe9262bb2/cannot-save-and-open-htm-files?forum=ieitprocurrentver)

Can someone explain why is this happening? 

FYI:- I did try disabling add-ons, changed security settings, allowed active content to run from my computer etc. Nothing worked except changing the default program for .html file.

Many Thanks

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:37 PM

Answers

• Nothing worked except changing the default program for .html file. 

Sounds like a symptom of low rights.   Use ProcMon to check.

In any case, where would the Save for the Open be going?  That sounds like a usability defect which once caused grief for Office product users especially.  E.g. the attachment would always have to be opened as a temporary file but instead of going somewhere somewhat persistent it would be extracted into the TIF, and, in the case of OE, depending on the order that the message window and the application window were closed, eventually deleted.  The problem was that Office product users would be oblivious of the fact that the document they tried to "work on" (sometimes for several hours, even "saving" as they went) was a transitory copy which, if they were going to "work on" needed to be saved somewhere safer first.  I suspect something like that may be behind the UI change that you are observing.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

So the issue is that you can't set IE as the default program, but html\htm can be opened in IE if you set other programs as default. I have a question here, when you click "open" button in IE 8 and IE9, is this html\htm file be open inside IE itself or opened by other browsers\text editor? Because you have set other browsers\text editor as the default program.

Have you trie to turn off protected mode, set the custom level in medium, then test this issue? Have you tried to store a html file in a local place, then open it directly?

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:02 AM
  • 1) Well, I can set IE as the default program for html/htm files, as well as any other browsers/text editors. There is no issue in setting the default program for html/htm files. This issue is- htm/html files can't be opened when I click on 'open' option (like temporary internet files get opened) just to view the files  in IE when I set IE as default program for htm/html files. Please note that this issue is only when I click 'open' just to view the file. If I download and save the file, the file opens in IE perfectly when IE is set as default program. 

2) Regarding clicking 'open' button:- I want that if default program for opening htm/html files is set as IE, when I click the open button, the file should get opened in IE (as temporary internet files open). This is not happening when I set IE as default program for htm/html files. 

3) Files do get opened when I click 'open' button in IE, but ONLY WHEN default program is some other browser/text editor. And yes they get opened in the browser/text editor which is THEN set as default program.

4)Yes, I've tried turning protected mode off, lower the security level, set custom level to medium/medium-low but no benefit as such.

5) If I download/save the file, and then open the file, with default program set as IE, the files get opened successfully. I think the issue is that IE is not opening htm/html files as temporary internet files  (when user just tries to view/open the attachment rather than download/save it) when default program is set as IE itself. Is this expected behavior?

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

Are you able to open other type of files\attachments in IE as temporary internet files? Have you tried to clear the temporary files, browser history, caches? Click internet options\General\Delete...
    If still doesn't work, I suggest you rest IE (please note that some IE settings will be lost)

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

I did everything you have stated above (including resetting IE), but it is still not working. Any other suggestions? 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Nothing worked except changing the default program for .html file. 

Sounds like a symptom of low rights.   Use ProcMon to check.

In any case, where would the Save for the Open be going?  That sounds like a usability defect which once caused grief for Office product users especially.  E.g. the attachment would always have to be opened as a temporary file but instead of going somewhere somewhat persistent it would be extracted into the TIF, and, in the case of OE, depending on the order that the message window and the application window were closed, eventually deleted.  The problem was that Office product users would be oblivious of the fact that the document they tried to "work on" (sometimes for several hours, even "saving" as they went) was a transitory copy which, if they were going to "work on" needed to be saved somewhere safer first.  I suspect something like that may be behind the UI change that you are observing.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:43 PM
    Answerer