Installed Vista RTM to C:, how remove RC1 from D:? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista RTM to partition C and now I'm trying to remove earlier Vista RC1 from D. I have deleted all folders except Program Files, ProgramData and Windows. If I try to delete these, the errormessage after all UAC confirmation windows is: "You need permission to perform this action". I don't want to format partition D because of there is also data I don't want to remove, so what should I do to delete these folders? I have tried to change ownership to admin group, as well as give full rights to admin group to these folders but no help.

The second question: I changed the owner of a folder from TrustedInstaller to admin. Now I try to set TrustedInstalled again to the owner, but I can't find it when using "Select users and groups": what's the right location? Or how should I do that?

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:51 AM

Answers

• Just when you're on RTM, try to format D: , that's it.

Good luck

Friday, November 10, 2006 12:20 PM

All replies

• Just when you're on RTM, try to format D: , that's it.

Good luck

Friday, November 10, 2006 12:20 PM
  • Mmm... as I wrote, formatting is not an option right now because of I don't want delete all the files from D:. Any other ideas?
    Monday, November 13, 2006 11:28 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, except it's not just Vista RC1 files in C:\Windows.old.002 that I can't remove... I'm also unable to remove the previous Windows XP system files that were moved into C:\Windows.old when I first installed RC1.

I've tried logging in specifically as the administrator, that doesn't help.

When I look at the file properties on the folders/files that I can't remove, the only account that's listed as having full permissions to the files is the "TrustedInstaller" group... however that group isn't listed in the user management options, so I can't put myself into that group. I'm assuming that's a special set of permissions that gets applied when you tell Vista that you trust some executable to run on your machine?

Perhaps I could write a quick C# app that just goes and deletes those files, and then when it runs, and vista asks if I trust the application, I can say yes?

Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:54 PM
  • Ok, my C# app idea didn't work, but I found the solution after a bit more searching:

Change the owner of the folder and all sub objects from TrustedInstaller to your local account or the administrators group. Note that in order to make the change apply to all sub objects, you have to go File->Properties->Security->Advanced->Edit and then check the box at the bottom of that window.

Once you're the owner, close all the property windows, and then go right back into that same window to give yourself full permissions to the folder and all sub objects.

Now delete away!

Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:43 PM