none
Project 2010 Legend Box without explanatory text, only icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I customised a report by deleting all Bar styles and defining my own from scratch (Task, Critical Task, Milestone, and Summary).

Now my Legend Box is only showing the icons for these four bar styles, and not any explanatory text.

Is there a way to amend this without going back to original bar styles?

P

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 8:33 PM

All replies

• Yes. Open the Bar Styles window and add descriptions to the left most column. What's in the Name column should be the description.

Rows where name starts with an * are hidden

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:43 AM
  • Yes. Open the Bar Styles window and add descriptions to the left most column. What's in the Name column should be the description.

Rows where name starts with an * are hidden

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Hi, Rod!

I got that part covered, even with the asterisks added. In the Bar Styles Dialog Box everything looks fine, but the Name is not included in the Legend Box as it normally would. All I see are the Icons for Task, Critical Task, Milestone and Summary, but without the text.

My Legend Box is also just one row tall, and I also don´t know how to adjust this height.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Real hard to know whether to agree with you that "everything looks fine" without seeing it.

I haven't seen this happening before, but then I have never heard of anyone deleting all the styles either.

I think it was a mistake to delete all of the bar styles in the Gantt Chart view and start from scratch.
    I am guessing that you attacked the styles in the Gantt Chart view.
    It would have been better to copy the Gantt Chart view and then work with the styles etc in the copy.
    Now you have no way to know which change triggered the problem.
    When making changes to the bar styles (of the copied view), only make incremental changes, and test each change as you go.
    Always have a fall back position, and only make mistakes that you know you can recover from.

Many of the default styles just don't apply if you have no tasks in that particular style "class". For example, if you have no manually scheduled tasks, you can readily, ie without risk, delete all styles that refer to manually scheduled.

However, from where you are now, rather than trying to fix what you broke, it would be easier and quicker to just recover the original default Gantt Chart view by going to file, organiser, and copy the clean Gantt Chart view from the global.mpt template file.

At least then you will be back to where you were before you made the first mistake.
    Or at least have a functioning Gantt Chart view.

Any help?

Thursday, October 6, 2016 10:51 AM
  • In addition to Trevor's reply, you could just use the Reset to Default button for the relevant view..

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:00 PM
  • planleggeren,

First question, are you fully updated with Project 2010? Your version should be 14.0.7173.5000. If not, run Windows Update.

I don't necessarily agree with Trevor that you "broke" anything but I do agree it is always better to create your own custom view. In that regard, I just deleted all of the default Bar Styles from my Gantt Chart view (yes, that's right, I didn't create a new custom view, I just wanted to emulate what you did). I then created a new bar style called "My Bar" and set it for Normal tasks. Finally I went to the Print preview and in the legend My Bar shows up as expected (i.e. bar name and bar style).

It might be helpful to see a screenshot of your Bar Styles window to see how you set up the styles, but regardless, if done correctly, you should be seeing the bar style name and style in the legend. If not, I suspect either your version of Project is not up to date, your file may be corrupt, or Project may need to be repaired.

John

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:15 PM