Windows 7 Magnifier pixelated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I came to know about Magnifier tool I was very happy.

It worked fine for the first instance but from the next time onwards the screen started looking pixelated and blurry. As for as I remember I didn't changed anything.

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/25hfs6u.jpg[/IMG]

Any suggestions?

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know the magnifier does result in a more pixelated view. You might try going to the settings and enabling Truetype fonts. The screen resolution will also have an effect on how the view is rendered. If you have decreased the resolution recently it may have changed the display.

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart Computer Repair
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know the magnifier does result in a more pixelated view. You might try going to the settings and enabling Truetype fonts. The screen resolution will also have an effect on how the view is rendered. If you have decreased the resolution recently it may have changed the display.

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart Computer Repair
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi Cathal,

I enabled clear type fonts and the screen is set at native resolution. I haven't changed anything.

One thing I noticed is that at 200% magnification it looks fine (this is the default magnification, hence it looked fine first time), anything below that or above looks blurry. I would like to have 150%.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:40 AM
  • When you have the magnifier tool bar showing or click in the center of the magnifying glass, you will see a gear.

Click on that and move the slider to the 50% setting. Then you toggle between 150% and 200%.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:12 AM
  • When you have the magnifier tool bar showing or click in the center of the magnifying glass, you will see a gear.

Click on that and move the slider to the 50% setting. Then you toggle between 150% and 200%.

I can do this. But the problem is the text becomes blurry (please check tinypic link above) for any magnifications below or above 200%. Even at 200% it is not absolutely clear but it looks better than other magnifications.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Cathal pointed out that you are magnifying the screen. Pixelation is to be expected.  I have two different  nice monitors that exhibit the same pixelation using magnifier. 
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:56 PM
  • alright, thank u
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Hi samurai_vara.

1 year old thread but oh well... I think I understand what you meant with your 'blurry/pixelated' problem.  The Windows 7 magnifier, unlike XP, tend to smooth-out each pixels instead of showing them 'raw' to you.  I don't understand why they've done that.

I use the magnifier from time to time to check exact pixel locations.  With Win7 it can't quite be done since you end up with this manified blurryness.

Christian

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Much like the rest of Windows, I think Microsoft "dumbed down" even the Magnifier... probably because "dumb users" (as all users are in Microsoft's eye) don't know what pixels are.  For that reason, those users complain about some parts of the magnified image showing blocky sharp pixel edges while truetype fonts look blurry.  Because Microsoft doesn't want anyone to complain about their crummy product, they dumb it down in hopes that the complaints will go away.

However, if you're a developer, you aren't fooled, and you've already moved on to a different development platform.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Unfortunately, the built-in magnifier in Windows 7 (and Vista) is pretty basic (it is likely based on the more powerful Sysinternals tool ZoomIt which has the exact same problem). As such, it does not handle fractional scaling, so magnifying to any level that is not evenly divisible by 100 (125%, 275%, 350%, etc.) will result in unsightly, broken scaling. That is why it defaults to scaling by a factor of 100 (200%, 300%, 400% all look okay because it simply doubles, triples, etc. the number of pixels).

If you want fractional scaling, then you can use a third-party magnification tool with better a scaling algorithms. Here’s some examples that might work.

Friday, June 7, 2013 12:53 AM