none
(Don't) Remove Extra Line Breaks setting being ignored, Outlook 2016

Question

• In Outlook 2016, on two Windows 10 machines, the "Don't Remove Extra Line Breaks" setting is being ignored.

Here is a screenshot of how all Meetup message board update emails have appeared in recent months (I'm not sure if Outlook 2016 has always been this way, or if some Microsoft update changed it this broken display):

Outlook 2016 Removing Line Breaks despite setting

In File -> Options, Mail, Message Format, the option "Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages" is UN-set.

In the Registry, this un-setting produces:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Mail]
    "AutoFormatPlainText"=dword:00000000

So, the setting is right, but Outlook 2016 seems to insist on remove these obviously very needed line breaks from these Meetup emails, and some others.

Is this setting broken or is there something else unrelated to this Remove extra line breaks ... function which is causing these emails to get munged into near unreadability?

thank you,

Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

The Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages check box setting is configured for all plain text items received in Outlook.

In your scenario, I noticed that the received "Meetup Message Board Update" mail is the HTML format not the plain text. I suggest you can close Outlook client, then receive new Meetup message in Outlook Web app (Exchange account) or webmail to confirm if this line is displayed correctly.

If the line issue also can be reproduced in webmail, I think you can contact the email sender side to confirm if their message format is not configured/customized correctly in sender side.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:52 AM
  • You're right, this is a different problem, most likely with the way that Meetup is sending the emails, not with Outlook.

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:57 PM
  • You're right, this is a different problem, most likely with the way that Meetup is sending the emails, not with Outlook.

Thanks for the update. If so, you can contact the sender Meetup for more help :)

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:46 AM