none
Can a zero duration task not be a milestone? RRS feed

• Question

• So we have a status report that shows milestones and some of our PMs go a little crazy with milestones so before they run the report they show the 'Milestone' field and turn some of their extraneous milestones to 'No'.

(Yes i could rewrite the report using a custom field to determine which milestones get added.)

The PMs in question have noticed that the 0 duration tasks that they toggled to 'no' have become 'yes' again without their actions.  Via testing I have not yet determined how this is happening.

So my question is can a 0 duration task ever not be a milestone permanently and under what conditions will the program flip the switch from 'no' to 'yes' for these tasks.

thanks,

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Yes. I have experienced this behavior in MS Project too. I am not sure of what kind of status report you are showing but whenever I try changing the duration of a task to '0' and select Milestone Boolean as "NO", automatically it changes to "Yes" after reopening the project file.

Regards.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Zakir.  As it turns out we may have solved this one late yesterday.  If you toggle a 0 duration task to be 'no' as a milestone it will stay that way until you accept task updates from timesheets in Server.  Then it will revert back to 'yes'.  Probably because of some recalculation that Project does as it updates summary tasks, etc.

So it seems that while you can have a task with duration toggles as a milestone you cannot have a task without duration NOT be a milestone.

So unless someone stumbles on this and corrects me I'll be adding a custom field for reporting purposes.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:05 PM