Unable to install Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86) redist on Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

The last couple of days I've been struggling with installing a third party software suite on my machine, a non-domain Win 7 Ultimate x64 which I am the administrator of. It turned out the software got stuck while trying to install a prereq, namely VC++ 2005 SP1 (x86) redistributables.

I tried to narrow it down and extracted the MSI to log, this was the result:

=== Logging started: 2010-09-02  20:58:40 ===
    Action 20:58:40: INSTALL. 
    Action start 20:58:40: INSTALL.
    This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator.
    C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\vcredist_x86\VCREDI~3\vcredist.msi
    Action ended 20:58:47: INSTALL. Return value 9. 

I've read (and tried)  tons of tips, such as:

1. Use gpedit to change software install rights
    2. Added reg key DisableMSI = 0
    3. Run as admin (duh)
    4. Use Windows Installer Clean Up Utility (although it's been deprecated)
    5. Searched the registry for the ProductCode GUID of the VC++ redist

Nothing helps! It just says that I should contact my system administrator (double-duh) and I KNOW that no such policies have been added.

Anyway, it seems that there is registry corruption of some kind since all other types of redists (2005/2008/2010 with and without SPs, both x86 and x64) are able to install.

Since I am, first and foremost, a programmer and not an IT pro, I was hoping that you could cast some light on the situation. If this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan, after checking your issue, it seems the problem occur with your system policy. Please try to do these following steps:

·         Click Start -> Control Panel

·         Open Administrative Tools

·         Open Local Security Policy

·         Click Software Restriction Policies

(If no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy)

·         Double click Enforcement

·         Select "All users except local administrators"

·         Click OK

·         Reboot the machine

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 13, 2010 1:15 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan, after checking your issue, it seems the problem occur with your system policy. Please try to do these following steps:

·         Click Start -> Control Panel

·         Open Administrative Tools

·         Open Local Security Policy

·         Click Software Restriction Policies

(If no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy)

·         Double click Enforcement

·         Select "All users except local administrators"

·         Click OK

·         Reboot the machine

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 13, 2010 1:15 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 8:43 AM
  • hi

plz suggest me a link to downlode c++ for window7 ultimate 64 bit

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Hi sir,

ahm... i'm trying to install visual c++ for my laptop but ended up to the garbages... i saw your comment and its like very useful for them... My O.S is windows 7... yet i cannot find any of this options... if your gonna ask what my computer is, i'm using a laptop, HP Envy17 to be exact.. please help me...

regards,

Romwil Doctolero

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:58 PM