none
Help me fix VPN error 860 on Windows 10 Mobile! RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so on Windows 10 Mobile, I'm getting the error "the remote access connection completed, but authentication failed because of an error in the certificate that the client uses to authenticate the server" when trying to connect to a PPTP VPN connection. I know this error! It's error 860! It's when you set up a new VPN connection, but for some reason Windows doesn't choose an authentication method so you have to go into your VPN connection's security settings and manually pick an authentication method. The issue is documented here on another website.

But on Windows Phone, there is no advanced interface to resolve this error! I also tried importing a PBK file with all the correct settings applied, but Windows 10 Mobile doesn't recognize PBK files.

Any idea how I can solve this one and finally use VPN?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:45 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem! There seems to be no way to select the security authentication method for the VPN connector as it is with the desktop version. How to we set MSCHAP?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 2:27 PM
  • I had a similar issue.

When you create the new VPN profile, be sure to select "VPN provider" -> Windows (built-in)

Once you have selected that, select your VPN type and then 'Type of sign-in info' (User name and password, Smart Card, One-time password, Certificate).

For the longest time I could not select the 'Type of sign-in info', it was very frustrating.....this was a result of not selecting the drop down from the VPN provider.

Hope that helps

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:35 PM
  • No. I did not help. I still get the 681 error. If there is not a way to select MSCHAP as the security for the VPN socket, then this feature is relatively useless because handshake will not complete successfully. What about this Mr. Microsoft? The mobile VPN worked back in the 6.5 days. Will it work again. And for those that have been able to successfully connect to their work through a VPN connection, what did you use? It does not appear that using the APN feature provided out-of-the-box will work. So what 3rd party apps did you use in order to successfully connect to your business network?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Just to add : I'm in the same boat. Mightily ironic, given the fact I've selected Windows phone specifically to be able to connect to my work Windows desktop. Thinking that MS is more likely to make that work than others. Now I have to accept that MS is not remotely as competent as I thought. In fact, pretty much every other phone seems better suited for this task. Thumbs down for MS - I wonder what all these PhD s are doing there, wasting time it seems. </rant>
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:40 PM