Cannot send email from SMTP/IMAP4 client through Exchange 2007

Question

• Forgive my greenness on Exchange.

I've got an Exchange 2007 system with all roles running on a single server.  I have a commercial SAN certificate that is installed and working.  My OWA works, my RPC over HTTP works.  But, I cannot get my IMAP clients to send out.

My Windows Live Mail client can connect and download email just fine via IMAP over SSL but when I send I get the error:

"Server Response: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permission to send as this sender."  There is also an Event 1026 written in the Application log of the Exchange server that says basically the same thing.

The mail clients SMTP server setting is configured to send to port 587 on SSL.

There is a Recieve Connector on the Exchage server called "Client" listening on port 587 with TLS enabled and "Exchange Users" permitted to use it.  It's also set to receive mail from all IP addresses.

I'm pretty sure that it's not an SSL cert problem, because all of my other services that require SSL work fine, unless somehow it's different for port 587.  When I turn off Basic Auth with TLS on the Client connector the error I get on the client is "Could not authenticate"...so that leads me to believe that it is authencating ok when I have it turned on like I should. 

The email address I am sending from is the primary SMTP address in AD.

I followed this walk-through to setup my client : http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/05/16/439093.aspx

but I've obviously missed something.

Any ideas?

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:10 AM

All replies