SIDEWINDE JOYSTICK DON'T WORK ON W7 RRS feed

• Question

• I HAVE MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK PRO,  IT COSTED  ME  A LOT OF MONEY . I NOW HAVE UPGRADED  MY COMPUTER TO W7. I AM UNABLE TO USE THIS JOYSTICK ANYMORE.

WHY MICROSOFT DON'T COME UP WITH SOME DRIVES FOR IT ? OF COURSE THEY PREFER PEOPLE TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON THEIR NEW PRODUCT ON SALE.

THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE ! A RIP OFF !

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• I HAVE MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK PRO,  IT COSTED  ME  A LOT OF MONEY . I NOW HAVE UPGRADED  MY COMPUTER TO W7. I AM UNABLE TO USE THIS JOYSTICK ANYMORE.

WHY MICROSOFT DON'T COME UP WITH SOME DRIVES FOR IT ? OF COURSE THEY PREFER PEOPLE TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON THEIR NEW PRODUCT ON SALE.

Reviewing hardware compatibility is part of the process before moving to a new operating system.

Microsoft has not supported that product for long time. I broke four of those in 1999 and gave up on it. The fire button was poorly contructed.

Try installing the software in compatibility mode(right-click the installer file) and select XP or W98

The games may also need to be installed in compatibility mode that utilize the force feedback.

Also, here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/swp

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:34 AM

All replies

Reviewing hardware compatibility is part of the process before moving to a new operating system.

Microsoft has not supported that product for long time. I broke four of those in 1999 and gave up on it. The fire button was poorly contructed.

Try installing the software in compatibility mode(right-click the installer file) and select XP or W98

The games may also need to be installed in compatibility mode that utilize the force feedback.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:34 AM
  • You broke 4 sidewinder force feedback pro ? are you sure you used it in an apropriate way ? I mean this joystick is also known for its robustness... 

btw I have the midi version of it, and I whould like to know if there is a hope to make it works on 7(64). (to buy a soundcard or not to buy... )

it's really sad that microsoft stopped maintaining it, it is still the reference in force feedback today, and a proof of microsoft quality. (it made me realize that microsoft can do good things too)

regards,

Bruno

(sorry for my poor english)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:30 PM

• <Nano Warp> wrote in message news:05cefcf8-d71a-401a-86d0-739a990d41a3@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I wasn't too crazy about it either. The ball socket fell apart on mine way back when. I went with a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (which IS Win7 compatible).

SC Tom

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:18 PM

That joystick was introduced in 1997.  It's a gameport (only) device. There was no downloadable XP software package for it, although XP had some basic drivers that were included with the OS (in 2001). (It's only a little newer than the Sidewinder Pro that gathers dust on my bookshelf.)

It "costed" you a lot of money? It's been a flea market item for ten years. If you paid anything significant for it any time in the 21st century, you were robbed.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:17 AM