How can i insert an external baseline to a project RRS feed

• Question

• I want to import an external baseline to my project

I did it manually ( copy-baste), but didn't work

any other ideas ?

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The copy-paste from one column to another one should work, and has always been working. That being said, it could be source of many error, since there are 14 variables with baseline information (cost, work ,start, finish..). 

Another way is for you to develop for example a VBA tool, but it can be time consuming if it is just for 1 project.

See this similar thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/05fe170c-e199-4882-b34a-ddea0028e958/import-export-baseline?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I did copy these fields

start   to    baseline 1 start

finish   to    baseline 1 finish

work   to    baseline 1 work

cost   to    baseline 1 cost

duration   to    baseline 1 duration

and I changed this field in options : base line for earned value calculation : baseline 1

but I still not seeing BCWS value or BCWP

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:27 PM
  • I think it is normal. The EVM indicator BCW S and P are timephased data. While copying data from a field (start) to another one (baseline start), you just copy a static data, but you do not reproduce the timephased distribution. I don't think there is a workaround, even if you could still use the task usage view to edit manually the timephased baseline costs and work. 

But unfortunately I think that if Project sees that there is no baseline saved (the one used for the EVM), it will no trigger any calculations.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Mohamed,

Just curious, under what conditions is an external baseline valid? By definition, a baseline is the starting point of a plan and can only be created within the plan itself.

John

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:46 PM
  • An Original baseline was deleted by mistake and I have a copy of it, and I want to insert it again to the project
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:03 AM
  • I think the best solution is to update the baseline file with the file with progress ( vise versa)  
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Mohamed,

Okay, I can see where that might happen and I agree that in lieu of some VBA, updating the backup file, that does have the baseline, with the current status is probably the best way to go.

Good luck.

John

Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:10 PM