Drop Down in a Header in Microsoft Word RRS feed

• Question

• i am somewhat of a beginner in Microsoft Word but i am using Microsoft Office Professional 2016.

I would like to see if there is an option to add a drop down in a header on a form.  We have different offices that use the same agreement, but we want the office name to display in the header.  So if they select Office Number 1, it will display that name but the actual agreement will be the same regardless of what office they select.

i have used drop down's before in the actual document and have added the Insert Form Field to my toolbar 

Hoping for an answer that will help but understand that it might not be possible.

thanks - John

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:15 PM

All replies

• You could use a content control dropdown in the header. See also: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/16498-multiple-entries-dropdown-lists.html#post46903

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Hi John,

Please try Paul's suggestion above to use the content control drop down in the header.

Additionally, I have another suggestion: Consider to use the Field code in Word. For example, if you want to insert the Office file name in Header. We can go to Insert > Quick Parts > Field. In the Field names list, select FileName, click OK. 

Check if that is helpful. If I misunderstand your requirement, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, February 21, 2019 3:11 AM
  • Additionally, I have another suggestion: Consider to use the Field code in Word. For example, if you want to insert the Office file name in Header. We can go to Insert > Quick Parts > Field. In the Field names list, select FileName, click OK.

Until a document has been saved, a FILENAME field will display 'Document#', where # is a number. Moreover, when saved, it will show the document's name with the extension (e.g. .docx). Regardless, the OP won't want to save every document with the same name - that being the name of the Office rather than something more meaningful vis-à-vis its content.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:15 AM