none
Exchange 2013 SU19 Index shows healthy but not indexing recent email

Question

• Issue is that one database (USDB1) in our Exchange 2013 standard SU 19 is not indexing new email since this weekend. The strange thing is that when I run the command to check the index health all of the indexes show healthy. (Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus -Server $env:ComputerName | Format-Table Name,Status,ContentIndex* -Auto)

Then if I run an index test for a specific mailbox/user that lives on USDB1 database it fails. 
    Test-ExchangeSearch -Identity AlanBrewer@contoso.com

From <https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123701%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396> 

I have followed this article up to step 7 which is restarting the search services on the servers.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123701(v=exchg.150).aspx
    I stopped at this step because I did not want to case even more issues.

Please advise.
    Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:57 PM

Answers

• For the rest of the users on this forum, the resolution to this was to restart the Microsoft Exchange Search service on the active database server in the DAG group. Doing so made the indexing service realize it actually had a backlog of indexes and it started to process them normally. Took a few hours to complete. You can view the status of the index backlog with this PowerShell command.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | FL Name,*Index*

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this!

• Marked as answer by BigT101 Friday, June 08, 2018 2:05 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2018 2:05 PM

All replies

• You could move all the mailboxes to a different database with a working index and then you could remove and recreate the index.  I don't know any way to repair an index.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

What error did you get when you run "Test-ExchangeSearch"?

Please refer to the step 6 to check the Application event log on the event sources MSExchangeFastSearch and MSExchangeIS.

As per my experience, a direct way is rebuilding the search index, we could refer to the manual method in the following blog:

Rebuild an Index on Exchange 2013 for Specific Databases

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:57 AM
  • It fails for users only in 1 of my 4 databases.
    Friday, June 08, 2018 1:59 PM
  • For the rest of the users on this forum, the resolution to this was to restart the Microsoft Exchange Search service on the active database server in the DAG group. Doing so made the indexing service realize it actually had a backlog of indexes and it started to process them normally. Took a few hours to complete. You can view the status of the index backlog with this PowerShell command.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | FL Name,*Index*

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this!

• Marked as answer by BigT101 Friday, June 08, 2018 2:05 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2018 2:05 PM