none
Manually scheduled tasks: how to distribute work accross the resources and over duration ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In project 2013, I added a manually scheduled task with defined start and end dates. I assigned a few resources to it. These resources won't provide the same amount of work for the task. This is not a problem since I can edit the "work" field of each resource in the task details. However, I would also like to define how the amount of work will be distributed over the time. Right now, project always distributes the work of each resource over the full duration of the task. The result is that some resources work 10 x 0.3 days when I want them to do 3 x 1 day.

Does someone have an idea how to tackle this ? Do I really have to split the task into multiple subtasks (one for each resource) ?

Kind regards,

Sébastien.

Friday, February 28, 2014 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Sébastien,

What you are looking for is a timephased view. Go to the task usage or resource usage view. Those 2 views propose on the left side assignments per resource or resources per tasks, and on the right part an "excel like" timephased grid. In this timephased grid you can enter per time period (set it from the view tab in the ribbon) work, actual, costs...

In this way you can manually spread work or any other value along time period.

See as per my screenshot below (in french):

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Proposed as answer by Seb_Lz Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Seb_Lz2 Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:36 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Sébastien,

What you are looking for is a timephased view. Go to the task usage or resource usage view. Those 2 views propose on the left side assignments per resource or resources per tasks, and on the right part an "excel like" timephased grid. In this timephased grid you can enter per time period (set it from the view tab in the ribbon) work, actual, costs...

In this way you can manually spread work or any other value along time period.

See as per my screenshot below (in french):

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Seb_Lz Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Seb_Lz2 Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:36 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 1:59 PM
  • In the Task Usage view you may edit the work as needed by altering the work per day or per week.  You can also change when a resource begins or ends their work by altering the Start and Finish field for the assignment.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Correct answers given above, I just question why you are using a manual task that automatically disables most of the calculation engine for that task?

Manual calculation is for "how can I schedule tasks when I know little and make it as easy as it was in Excel?" people.

By the time you get to assigning resources I would strongly advise all tasks be in auto mode, not manual.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, February 28, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was looking for. I had tried to use this view before but for some rason I thought I could not edit the cells (like if they were greyed out). Now it seems to work !

Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:50 AM
  • You are right and I always try to let task in auto scheduled mode. However, there is one task in my project that has a variable duration and amount of work. It's a big task and resources are assigned to it when they are done with some other tasks. Therefore the start and end dates for each resources depend on other tasks. I do not know how to do that in project except by splitting the task into subtasks and linking the dates of these subtasks with the dates of the tasks they depend on using the "paste special" trick (but I don' t like this solution since it's hard to manage when there are too much subtasks). I think I'll start a new topic with this question.

• Edited by Seb_Lz Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:07 AM typo
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:03 AM
  • Hi Seb,

You're more than welcome!

By the way, you seem to have 2 accounts. Could you please connect with you account used for creating the thread (seb_Lz2) and mark the thread as answered with this account so we can close it.

Cheers.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Done, sorry I didn't realize it.
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:37 PM