none
SharePoint Server 2013 stops working after upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading a 3-machine SharePoint 2013 SP1 farm from Windows Server 2012  to Windows Server 2012 R2, SharePoint 2013 stops working.  

I confirmed that everything was working BEFORE the upgrade so something about the upgrade obviously breaks SharePoint 2013 SP1.

Any attempt to lauch SharePoint 2013 Central Administration results in the following error (note how it incorrectly mentions SharePoint 2010 instead of SharePoint 2013):

This operation can be performed only on a computer that is joined to a server farm by users who have permissions in SQL Server to read from the configuration database.

To connect this server to the server farm, use the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard, located on the Start menu in Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products.]

Nothing was changed other than the server operating system upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2.

I know that the SharePoint 2012 WFE can "see" the SQL Server 2012 machine, because the following PowerShell works just fine:

# Can we ping the SQL Server 2012 that this SharePoint 2013 WFE is supposed to communicate with ?
    Test-Connection -ComputerName 'SQLSrv2012' -Count 1 -BufferSize 4 -Verbose |
    Format-Table -AutoSize

# Can we ping the SQL Server by its IP address ?
    [string] $IPV4Address = Test-Connection -ComputerName 'SQLSrv2012' -Count 1 -ErrorAction Stop |
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty 'IPV4Address'

Test-Connection -ComputerName $IPV4Address -Count 1 -BufferSize 4 -Verbose |
    Format-Table -AutoSize

If you think development is tough now, think how hard it was using punched cards :-)

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:44 PM

Answers

• On the advice of Microsoft Support, I was told to remove the SP 2013 SP1 server, SP2013Srv, from the domain by placing into workgroup mode, SP2013WORKGROUP, and try to add it back in to the domain.

I was able to remove the SP 2013 SP1 server from the Domain, but when I try to add it back in, it tries for 60-90 seconds and then complains that it cannot find the Domain Controller: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

The Domain controller is on a machine named WinSrv2012 with a Primary Dns Suffix of AD2012.Loc and 

It would appear that any attempt to upgrade an EXISTING SharePoint 2013 SP1 farm from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 is not working, at least not as of early April 2014.

If you think development is tough now, think how hard it was using punched cards :-)

• Marked as answer by Lindali Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:49 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 10:37 PM

All replies

• SP1 is now withdrawn.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817429/en-gb

HTH
    Nagesh T

Friday, April 4, 2014 8:12 PM
  • The issue with SP1 does not impact this particular problem.

Generally it is advised to build new SharePoint servers with the target operating system and join them to the farm, rather than in-place upgrade Windows.

Are you able to use the Config Wizard on this particular server and see if you can disjoin it, then rejoin it to the farm?

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 4, 2014 8:33 PM
  • On the advice of Microsoft Support, I was told to remove the SP 2013 SP1 server, SP2013Srv, from the domain by placing into workgroup mode, SP2013WORKGROUP, and try to add it back in to the domain.

I was able to remove the SP 2013 SP1 server from the Domain, but when I try to add it back in, it tries for 60-90 seconds and then complains that it cannot find the Domain Controller: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

The Domain controller is on a machine named WinSrv2012 with a Primary Dns Suffix of AD2012.Loc and 

It would appear that any attempt to upgrade an EXISTING SharePoint 2013 SP1 farm from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 is not working, at least not as of early April 2014.

• Marked as answer by Lindali Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:49 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 10:37 PM