none
DHCP Backup interval RRS feed

• Question

• We are having DHCP server running on windows server 2008.The default backup interval value is 60 mins.Our customer likes to change the default backup interval value from 60 mins to 24 hours(1440).Can you all suggest the risk in changing the value.
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The biggest risk is that your customer will be more vulnerable if DHCP Database becomes corrupted.

To have your database backed up every 60 minutes have near to zero impact on performance or disk space. For a 100 users network, we are talking about 12Mb of backup including log files, pretty small impact on the system. Even at 1000 users with a single DHCP (I don't recommend!), disk space or performance impacts would be near to null.

I dont see any reasons to change that value to 24 hours (1440 minutes) in today's technology performance and disk space.

Here's a Technet article explaining in details DHCP Backup and Restore: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759235(v=ws.11).aspx

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:33 AM Added few details
    • Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, October 31, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:33 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The biggest risk is that your customer will be more vulnerable if DHCP Database becomes corrupted.

To have your database backed up every 60 minutes have near to zero impact on performance or disk space. For a 100 users network, we are talking about 12Mb of backup including log files, pretty small impact on the system. Even at 1000 users with a single DHCP (I don't recommend!), disk space or performance impacts would be near to null.

I dont see any reasons to change that value to 24 hours (1440 minutes) in today's technology performance and disk space.

Here's a Technet article explaining in details DHCP Backup and Restore: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759235(v=ws.11).aspx

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:33 AM Added few details
    • Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, October 31, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:33 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Even i have changed the value of the registry valus for BackupInterval  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer\Parameters\BackupInterval to 1440.

The backups are happening still for every 60 mins once.

Monday, October 31, 2016 10:15 PM
  • Hi Naresh,

>>The backups are happening still for every 60 mins once.

Have you reboot the server after you changed registry key?

Please check if value of BackupInterval is 1440 after you rebooted server.

Please right-click DHCPserver, click permissions, ensure you have permission to modify registry key.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Yes I have rebooted the server after the registry change.

Since our databasebackup clean upinterval value is set 60 mins.The files and folder in DHCP backup are getting updated.The confusion is clear now.

Can you please let me know how are can check/confirm  that our DHCP internal Database backup is success.

Is there any way to confirm that any logs in event viewer it will update.Please confirm.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Hi Naresh,

>> Can you please let me know how are can check/confirm  that our DHCP internal Database backup is success.

You could check DHCP log to achieve the goal.

Please open DHCP server management, expand DHCP server, and right-click IPv4 or IPv6, click properties, select advance, you could check DHCP server log at location.

Please reference the picture below to check DHCP log:

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:47 AM
  • We are having DHCP server running on windows server 2008.The default backup interval value is 60 mins.Our customer likes to change the default backup interval value from 60 mins to 24 hours(1440).Can you all suggest the risk in changing the value.

Hello everyone,

With all respect, all posted responses are good as for configuring and troubleshooting the default DHCP backup interval value.

But the initial question was "Can you all suggest the risk in changing the value". Isn't that was answered in the first place?

Best regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:49 AM