Screen Flicker / Flashing RRS feed

• Question

• My entire screen seems to flicker/flash/reload the screen in an odd way periodically.  This happens sporadically, but occurs more frequently when adjusting certain settings like backup and when watching movies.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Any clues how to stop this behavior?  I'm running a clean install of win7 64 bit w/ 4 gig's of ram.

Thanks
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:51 AM

Answers

• If you have this issue even on the latest drivers then the only other option would be to try some older Vista Drivers and see if they also do this.

If so then sadly until a new set of drivers are released there isnt really a fix for the issue as it is driver related which is out of Microsoft's hands.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• Do you have the latest Video Drivers for your system?  This sounds like a Video Driver failure.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:47 PM
  • I download the latest video driver from intel and when i went to install it it said my current driver version was newer.  Any other ideas?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Do you have the correct refresh reate for your monitor?  At 60Hz or 75Hz?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:59 AM
  • I've tried both 59 and 60, but it's an lcd monitor on a laptop which don't suffer that constant fliker that crt's get.  It seems to occur when windows or a program randomly decides to "refresh" the screen, but it does so in an inconsistent manner because I can see the screen load weird.  
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:05 AM
  • I got the same problem and it is very annoying. For example every time i scroll pdf file screen flashes :S
    My graphics card is Club 3d 4870 1GB Overclocked edition and drivers atis windows 7 beta drivers.
    Most probably something with drivers. I've also got blue screen 3 times because of driver failure.

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:12 AM
  • If you have this issue even on the latest drivers then the only other option would be to try some older Vista Drivers and see if they also do this.

If so then sadly until a new set of drivers are released there isnt really a fix for the issue as it is driver related which is out of Microsoft's hands.
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:55 PM
  • I have been experiencing a similar problem when I launch mediacenter, i noticed that it started when I updated mediacenter through windows update.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I replaced the video driver chosen by win7 and used the driver direct from the manufactor.  It was an older version than the one win7 has, but it seemed to resolve the flickering issue.  So i recommend you grab the latest video driver for your video card, install it, and see if that fixes the problem.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:53 PM
  • When WIN7 RC updated the ATI RADEON 200 series on-board graphics driver the flickering began.  I'm using an ACER x223w LCD flat panel monitor.
    I rolled back the graphics driver and there is not more flashing/flickering going on.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:27 PM
  • When WIN7 RC updated the ATI RADEON 200 series on-board graphics driver the flickering began.  I'm using an ACER x223w LCD flat panel monitor.

To prevent this flickering after an ATI display driver update, open Device Manager and uninstall the device.  Right click the ATI . . . Graphics device and chose "Uninstall".  Don't worry, trust me.  Leave the box for "Delede the driver software" unchecked.

You display will change, possibly to 640x480 or 800x600.  After that, right click anything in Device Manager and select "Scan for hardware changes".  It will re-install the ATI graphics display device.

After that, you should be fine.  Note, any windows you left open during the process might still have a flicker problem.  Close and re-open them.  If it still continues, try a reboot.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:57 PM