Did I do the impossible ? Username on lockscreen with Fast User switching - but how ? RRS feed

• Question

• So according to this KB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3082141

By design there is no way to show logged on username on lock screen unless you disable fast user switching.

but somehow is happened, I didn't change anything in the registry or GPO, Ive runned gpresult and couldn't find anything relevant being pushed down to me. however I get this..  (see pictures)

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:27 AM

Answers

• This is on a domain machine with domain account, however i only get Username on Lock screen on 1 Windows10 PC, even though other PCs are in the same OU.

So i dont think its a group policy.

And its not a problem, it dose what i ideally would wont to replicate on other Windows 10 machines, but i do not know what caused it.

It was the way MS intended it with Other User on Lockscreen for ages, then 1 day i had bunch of updates pending and PC forced me to reboot, after that reboot when i locked my pc it had my name on lockscreen.

I though MS fixed a bug with name not being in the lockscreen so i ignored it.

later other users came to ask about how to "fix" lock screen to display username.

and i was confused becouse my one somehow got "fixed"

So now im trying to figure out how to replicate this.

PS. disabling fast user switching its a bad workaround.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:54 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Vladimir,

About the Windows 10 logon screen

In Windows 10, the unlock screen was changed to mimic the behavior of the logon screen.

Specifically, when the Interactive logon: Do not display last user name security option setting is enabled, the following behavior occurs:

• The name of the last user account that was logged on to the local computer is not displayed on the logon screen.
    • The name of user account that locked its user logon session is not displayed on the unlock screen.

Workaround

Assume that a company has a Group Policy setting that specifies that the name of the last logged-on user is not displayed on the logon screen. In the corporate environment, if you want to prevent other users from logging on when a session locks the console, you can force the name of the last logged-on user to appear on the unlock screen by enabling a Group Policy setting that conflicts with the Interactive logon: Do not display last user name security option setting.

For example, the Interactive logon: Do not display last user name security option setting and the Hide entry points for fast user Switching Group Policy setting cannot coexist because of the lack of a back button. When both the security option setting and the Group Policy setting are set, the Hide entry points for fast user Switching setting takes precedence and will show the currently logged-on user at the unlock screen.

So I think here we might need to check the two mentioned policies.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 16, 2015 8:48 AM
  • I did mention this exact KB you copied and pasted in my original post.

and just to re-iterate Interactive logon: Do not display last user name is set to not display on logon screen.

Hide entry points for fast user Switching is not configured.

and if it just remained as requiring Username and password on our domain then I would just accept that this is a an MS by design BUG.

However SOMEHOW this 1 PC out of 10 have both Username on LOCKSCREEN (only lock screen, not logon screen) and I have Fast User Switching enabled. (please see picture in OP)

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Yes I saw that.

I just quoted the part that I suspect should be the problem here.

Which seems to be not the right direction, my apologize.

Windows 10 machines at my side didn't show up like the image you posted, and for the lock screen, there is no User information displayed.

Another thing that might be the cause here, it the profile. Please try to log in another Windows 10 machine to check this out. (If we have configured roaming profile in domain.)

If only local profile, check this with a newly added account.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Michael_LS Monday, October 19, 2015 6:27 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 6:26 AM
  • This is on a domain machine with domain account, however i only get Username on Lock screen on 1 Windows10 PC, even though other PCs are in the same OU.

So i dont think its a group policy.

And its not a problem, it dose what i ideally would wont to replicate on other Windows 10 machines, but i do not know what caused it.

It was the way MS intended it with Other User on Lockscreen for ages, then 1 day i had bunch of updates pending and PC forced me to reboot, after that reboot when i locked my pc it had my name on lockscreen.

I though MS fixed a bug with name not being in the lockscreen so i ignored it.

later other users came to ask about how to "fix" lock screen to display username.

and i was confused becouse my one somehow got "fixed"

So now im trying to figure out how to replicate this.

PS. disabling fast user switching its a bad workaround.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:54 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 11:14 AM
  • Hi Vladimir2989,

I suspect that should be some Windows Update.

If any further questions, please post back.

By the way, please make sure Windows is up-to-date.

Regards

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:45 AM