Migrating MOSS 2007 from one server to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am planning to migrate my SharePoint server to a new machine. I know that I have to deploy all the content databases by taking their back up and restoring them to the new machine. But I am confused about the configuration database. I am not getting much information about configuration database. Do I have to restore the configuration database in the same way as we have to do for content databases?

Regards

Ginni

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:24 AM

Answers

• oh ok,no Configuration database is not at all required to be backed up.

You just need to take Site content DBs.

And as I have mentioned previously you can take a backup of Config DB but it will create a lots of performance issues and thats why i am suggesting you to create a new config DB whenever it will be required

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant |
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Ginni,

the procedure to migrate Configuration DB is mentioned in

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725%28office.12%29.aspx article but from my point of view and experience I suggest you to create a new configuration DB if you are going to migrate SQL server as well.

If SQL remains same then you just need to disconnect old SharePoint server and then from the new SharePoint server connect to the same SQL machine.

And if SQL will be new then I suggest to create a new config DB, bcz as per my knowledge Configuration DB is machine specific , so on new server you have to create a new config DB, and definitely you have to redeploy all customization as you will be creating a new config DB. Please correct me if I am wrong !!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:10 AM
  • greetings to al

In our case we are first  migrating EXchange 2007 and Active Directory to new server  and then migrate sharepoint 2007 to new server.

does sharepoint upgrade process take care of sids part or will we have to reinvite all users

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:40 AM Do NOT write abotu SP 2010 in pre-2010 forums
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:01 AM
  • @Pratik

Well the scenario is that we are planning for Disaster Recovery. If something happens to the existing server then we should always be prepare with a back up plan. So we just want to migrate the complete information on the existing server to a new machine, so that the new server works exactly the same as the old server.

I have already seen that link but I am confused regarding Configuration Database that whether this database needs to be migrated along with the other content databases or have to create a new one.

Regards

Ginni

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:26 AM
  • oh ok,no Configuration database is not at all required to be backed up.

You just need to take Site content DBs.

And as I have mentioned previously you can take a backup of Config DB but it will create a lots of performance issues and thats why i am suggesting you to create a new config DB whenever it will be required

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:41 AM
  • thanks,  we need to actually migrate sharepoont 2007 running on Windows 2003 (ad+sql+sharepoint)  to new setup( AD and sharepoint on seperate server).

What shall be best for changing SQL server to 64 bit ?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:39 AM 2010 reference removed. Do not write about SP 2010 in pre-2010 forums
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

Ok, so we just need to migrate all content databases and configuration database will be a new one. That is what I was thinking because Configuration database contains information regarding the Custom WebParts, Infopath form Templates, All Features etc. which we need to deploy again on the new server.

Anyways, Thanks a lot Pratik.

Regards

Ginni [My SharePoint Blog ]

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:51 AM