none
Replica Collocation Allocation RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012 Replica sizing is driving me absolutely mental the way it just throws disk space away.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Collocation\Hyper-V

CllocatedReplicaSize=1073741824000 (1TB)

DSCollocationFactor=0x0000100(256)

Based on the above, you'd assume when using Collocation with Hyper-V VM's, I could get 1TB or 100 VM's on one replica volume, whichever comes first.

So why am I seeing the below? The first Replica Volume has 7 Data sources, the second only 1. DPM really couldn't fit that 1 42GB Data source onto the first replica volume? I thought maybe DPM had a 25% reserve on the replica volumes but even that doesn't make sense as 680GB is still below 75%.

Does anyone have any ideas short of giving DPM Petabytes of space for it's "decision making". 

• Edited by Jayson. C Friday, March 22, 2013 3:56 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To date, we have not had any customers report problems in this area.  If you need to have it investigated please open a support case with us.  If it turns out to be a code defect in the product you will not be charged for the support incident.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:16 PM

All replies

• Not exactly the overwhelming response I had hoped for. 
    Monday, March 25, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

I don't believe that configuration was ever intended, or tested. Please try something more reasonable.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Something more reasonable how so? I originally had the DSCollocationFactor value set at 8 and worked my way up trying to judge DPM's behavior. That is when I realized it's either not working as intended or there is no pattern because it seems to do whatever it wants. 

I also had CollocatedReplicaSize value set lower but again, I increased it trying to observe if it was reserving the top 25% or what exactly the pattern was. Again no pattern other than it not working as intended. 

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Even if you do not set the colocation factor to 256 but to 16 instead and keep the replica size down DPM still does not use the space efficiently. Just recently I noticed that again with 2012 SP1. DPM really needs to get rid of using volumes for backup and use something like VHD(x) containers or some other container format which could just sit nicely on a filesystem without wasting space. And don't get my started on talking about the LDM size limit ;-)
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:17 PM
  • So what I am seeing is "normal" in that other people experience it too? I agree with Marcus, the storage efficiency of DPM 2012 SP1 is pretty bad.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

To date, we have not had any customers report problems in this area.  If you need to have it investigated please open a support case with us.  If it turns out to be a code defect in the product you will not be charged for the support incident.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:16 PM