Deleted Items recovery in Outlook question RRS feed

• Question

• I recently implemented a policy to users deleted items boxes via Exchange Server 2007.  I applied this policy to just a few users to test it out and all appears to working well.  The policy is set to delete any items that hit the deleted items folder and sit there for seven days.  My question is in regards to the deleted items recovery feature in Outlook.  Does the policy I created in Exchange overwrite the server deleted item retention of 30 days?  So, being that I currently have the Exchange Server deleted item retention set at 30 days when I click on my deleted items box in Outlook and then on the Recover Deleted Items option under tools I should see 30 days of deleted emails right?  When I do this I only see two emails though...

Can someone help clear this up for me please? Thanks - Abacus

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What’s the version of Outlook?

Deleted item retention must be configured on the server. Otherwise, there will be no deleted items stored in the dumpster available for recovery. By default, the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key is set to 1 in Outlook 2007, so all folders are enabled for deleted item recovery. By default, all folders are recoverable on the Exchange server.

In Outlook 2003 and earlier versions, only the Deleted Items folder is enabled for recovery by default. All folders are recoverable, however, you must enable the ability to see the items in the dumpster. You must use the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key to recover hard-deleted items, which are those items that were deleted while holding down the SHIFT key and that were never moved to the Deleted Items folder.

More information:

How to Recover a Deleted Item

Recover deleted items

• Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, July 18, 2011 1:28 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 6:19 AM

All replies

• Doesnt the Managed Folders Policy wizard allow you to choose how you delete the items?

( Delete and Allow Recovery, Permanently Delete, etc...)

Friday, July 8, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the version of Outlook?

Deleted item retention must be configured on the server. Otherwise, there will be no deleted items stored in the dumpster available for recovery. By default, the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key is set to 1 in Outlook 2007, so all folders are enabled for deleted item recovery. By default, all folders are recoverable on the Exchange server.

In Outlook 2003 and earlier versions, only the Deleted Items folder is enabled for recovery by default. All folders are recoverable, however, you must enable the ability to see the items in the dumpster. You must use the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key to recover hard-deleted items, which are those items that were deleted while holding down the SHIFT key and that were never moved to the Deleted Items folder.

More information:

How to Recover a Deleted Item

Recover deleted items

• Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, July 18, 2011 1:28 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 6:19 AM