Vista boots to black screen after CHKDSK RRS feed

• Question

• I'm suddenly unable to boot into Windows Vista. After the green loading bar, the screen turns completely black instead of showing the user selection choices like it normally should. I've read the other posts and discussions about this problem and none of the solutions listed have worked. 

I have not installed any new hardware or software, it's not a memory problem either. I have my Vista CD too, and I can boot into the CD repair tools, and I've tried all of them but with no success. The startup repair choice states that there is no startup problem. I can bring up the list of startup options and choose safe mode, but I get the same black screen after the list of (drivers?) finishes loading. I can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, but the same black screen appears. 

I'm not sure if my "black screen" is the same as the others that people have described. Most people describe a black screen with a white/gray cursor. That's not what I get. My screen is completely black with no cursor. The white mouse pointer appears on the screen and I can move it around normally, but there's nothing to click. It's almost like the "image" of the background where you click the user is somehow missing.

Maybe it will help if I tell you what happened just before this problem started to occur. I was checking out a Linux distro using a live CD. I was NOT attempting to install Linux. One of the programs in the distro alerted me that there was a problem with my drive and recommended that I run CHKDSK to fix it. Below is a photo I took of the screen showing the error. So, I removed the Linux CD and booted into Vista as usual. There were no indications or alerts from Vista that an error was present and everything was working normally. I opened the command prompt and typed "chkdsk /f /r" and got message telling me chkdsk couldn't be run now but would run when I rebooted. 

I rebooted and the chkdsk started as expected. It ran for over two hours, which surprised me because I don't remember it taking this long other times. When it was finally done, it said multiple errors were found and it would fix them when I reboot again. I rebooted and the chkdsk utility started again, and the screen displayed a scrolling list of files it was fixing. Sorry I can't remember the exact message it was displaying. 

When it finished doing whatever it was doing this time, it rebooted again and that's when the black screen started appearing. So I'm wondering if the chkdsk utility somehow "broke" something. Is that possible? I'd hope that a Windows repair tool wouldn't have the potential to harm the system. I don't think the Linux live CD did anything because no files were written to the drive and nothing was installed. It would be the same as running any other program from a CD. 

Friday, February 1, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• Live CD probably altered your Master Boot Record, seen it before myself.

Boot from Windows Vista installation Media and choose Repair Computer/Command prompt.

Type...

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

and

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Remove installation media and reboot.

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by Puckis Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:53 PM