Matshita DVD CD Rom not working UJ 862 AS RRS feed

• Question

• I have just recently purchased a SONY Laptop computer Model VGN-Z36GD for which the Matshita DVD Rom Model UJ862 AS was working. I started to load Nero on to the PC and it came up as not compatible. Since then the DVD does not work. I checked the device manager for which reported 

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Could someone help me.

Monday, June 1, 2009 9:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This issue can be related to incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer. Does the DVD-ROM work properly now?

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This issue can be related to incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer. Does the DVD-ROM work properly now?

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I know it's a year later since you've posted this and I don't normally respond to these kind of things, but thank you SO MUCH for this fix! I've searched the Internet up and down trying to find a solution to my DVD-ROM drive not working and couldn't find anything at all helpful except for this. Super fast and simple fix! THANKS!
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:42 AM
  • This worked like a charm! Thanks!!

Lenovo T61p
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:30 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem with my Sony VGN - Z48GD after my IT department changed my email settings during which they disabled Kaspersky and when they re-enabled it the DVD gear decided it wouldn't cooperate. After that there were a host of USB devices which the computer wouldn't recognise including modems, printers etc. Several experts attempted a fix but the fix here which took 5 minutes to execute fixed it. I again love my Sony. Many thanks, as someone else said super fast and simple fix.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:34 AM
  • This issue can be related to incompatible CD/DVD-burning software or damaged registry information. Let's perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Does this procedure relate to Win7?

When I open the specified Registry Key, I don't have any upperfilter and lowerfilter parameters:

I can read from the device with a standard CD-ROM or DVD-R, but when I insert a DVD-RW, Win7 reports it "can't read the disc in drive".

So, what to do?

• Edited by W3140 Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:01 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Nevermind, I resolved the problem.

I performed a forced format (UDF 2.01 - Default) via Control Panel>Administrative Tools and was successful in getting it to play nice with Windows Explorer. So, that was good.

But, I wondered, why didn't Win7 prompt me to format the drive when I inserted the blank disk? That led me to suspect something was amiss with Autoplay, which turned out to be the problem all along. Following the steps specified in:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-windo ... nd-pop-up/

particularly resetting Shell Hardware Detection service to "automatic", got things working nicely once the system was rebooted.

I provide this information in case others have a similar problem.

• Proposed as answer by W3140 Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:07 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:07 PM
  • It works thank you so much!
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:03 AM