none
Trusted Locations For Office 365

Question

• Hello all -

I'm trying to get rid of the nasty "Trusted" applications message in Office 2013/2016 when a user opens an app.  I want to add the path C:\Users\user_name\Documents as a trusted location for Office apps.

We are running Office 365, so I cannot use the Office Customization Tool.  Anyone have ideas on how to add the location via GPO?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff G

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to my research, we can use environment variables by using Group Policy and the OCT to specify Trusted Locations. But, for environment variables to work correctly when you use them within the OCT, you must change the value type that is used to store Trusted Locations in the registry. If you use an environment variable to specify a trusted location, and you don’t make the necessary registry modification, the trusted location appears in the Trust Center, but it’s unavailable and it’s listed as a relative path that contains the environment variables. After you change the value type in the registry, the trusted location appears in the Trust Center as an absolute path and is available.

Please go through the following article to get more information:

Plan and configure Trusted Locations settings for Office 2013

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179039.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 02, 2016 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to my research, we can use environment variables by using Group Policy and the OCT to specify Trusted Locations. But, for environment variables to work correctly when you use them within the OCT, you must change the value type that is used to store Trusted Locations in the registry. If you use an environment variable to specify a trusted location, and you don’t make the necessary registry modification, the trusted location appears in the Trust Center, but it’s unavailable and it’s listed as a relative path that contains the environment variables. After you change the value type in the registry, the trusted location appears in the Trust Center as an absolute path and is available.

Please go through the following article to get more information:

Plan and configure Trusted Locations settings for Office 2013

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179039.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 02, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 2:08 AM