none
Sudden stop of email access RRS feed

• Question

• I have two computers at home, a desktop operating Windows XP linked to the router via an ethernet cable and a laptop operating Vista, linked through WiFi, two hotmail accounts, one .com and the other .co.uk. The desktop uses Office Outlook 2003), the laptop Windows Live Mail. On the same day about 3 weeks ago both computers failed to 'sign in' to the mail accounts. There was no new software uploaded at the time on either. There is no problem with internet access and I can access both e-mail accounts via the browsers from both machines, so the usernames and passwords are correct. I have email contact, but using Office Outlook and Live Mail are a lot more convenient than 'Outlook.com' in the browser.

I have tried powering down the router and after a while (8 hours!) powering it up again - no change. I have contacted the broadband provider and they told me what outgoing mail server to specify and what the port number should be, but I can't find anywhere to enter these. When I look for the connections I get taken to the Outlook.com page but that is no help, there is no obvious place for the connections to be specified. What do I do next?

In Office Outlook the tech person advised entering the following.

Outgoing mail server: SMTP.talktalk.net, port 587, Authentication - yes

When I go to 'Outlook Connector', then 'settings', then 'Mail Options', the computer takes me to https://dub125.mail.live.com/mail/options.aspx and there seems to be no place to enter the name of the server. I can't find any other place for 'settings' in Office Outlook.

In Windows Live Mail I can find the mail accounts and it tells me that they are on an HTTP server with the URL: http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx

I hesitate to replace this with the mail server given above, because I am not really sure what I am doing.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:02 PM

Answers

• It would be better to post this in another forum. I've just tried to search for the comparable Technet forum which I could not find in the first results so I'm not going to insist there.

Otherwise, you could take screenshots or copy and paste (into a text file) of the current settings before you change anything. Then you could revert back if necessary.

I don't have Outlook 2003 so I'm not able to look at how you might configure it (tried looking at 2010 but didn't see anything similar to what you describe).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:51 PM

All replies

• It would be better to post this in another forum. I've just tried to search for the comparable Technet forum which I could not find in the first results so I'm not going to insist there.

Otherwise, you could take screenshots or copy and paste (into a text file) of the current settings before you change anything. Then you could revert back if necessary.

I don't have Outlook 2003 so I'm not able to look at how you might configure it (tried looking at 2010 but didn't see anything similar to what you describe).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:51 PM
  • I am grateful for your attention. I would happily mark it as 'helpful' but the page doesn't offer that as an option. I could mark it as an answer, but that would be an exaggeration. This is the third forum on which I have posted as advised by previous responders elsewhere; I am reluctant to give up just yet, although I am increasingly convinced that the answer lies on the ISP side of the browser; unfortunately, I can't get them interested.

Best wishes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:04 PM