Missing CD Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. :)

I have spent the last 3 hours combing internet forums and support websites trying to find a fix for my problem to no avail.  Basically, my CD drive is gone. It isn't responding to my open/close button ... it isn't showing in Device Manager ... it isn't showing in My Computer ... nothing.  It's an internal CD drive and there is actually still a CD sitting in it from the last time I was able to use it (many months ago).  I am using a Dell Vostro 200 desktop and am running Windows Vista Home Basic.  I have no clue who the manufacturer of the CD drive is.

I did try to follow the steps laid out in this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/eb9a651c-99a3-4072-8113-ef90951c9a07 ... but that didn't work (there were no Upper or Lower filters to delete).

I'm at my wit's end and really cannot (on principle) pay $49 to call or chat with Microsoft Support -- is there anyone who can help me to get my CD drive working again?  My wife wants to order our Christmas cards... but our family pics are on a CD (of course) that we purchased from our photographer.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards, 

Justin

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:12 AM

Answers

• Why don't you consider purchasing an inexpensive external CD/DVD Drive? Examples
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates or programs installed before the issue occurs? Did you try to do system restore?

Did you try to run the Fix It tool in the KB article which Carey Frisch provided?

Please go to check if there are any CD/DVD related software or burning programs installed. If so, please remove them.

After that, please remove and reinstall the CD/DVD driver from the Dell site.

If the above steps not help, it may cause by the corrupted CD drive. You need to change a new one.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:03 AM

All replies

• Most CD drives have a tiny hole located on the face of the unit.  Use a staightened paperclip and insert it in the hole until the CD drive tray opens.

Also see: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:17 AM
  • I appreciate the tip to get my CD out.

However, the link you provided in your reply directed me to try the same thing (registry modification) as the link I posted in my original message, and that is not the issue at hand.

So, I am just going to go the route that the CD/DVD drive is FUBAR (I don't think that's the case... but since Microsoft insists on paying them just to talk with them, I guess I'll just go buy a Mac and be done with it.  ;) ).

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Justin

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Why don't you consider purchasing an inexpensive external CD/DVD Drive? Examples
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates or programs installed before the issue occurs? Did you try to do system restore?

Did you try to run the Fix It tool in the KB article which Carey Frisch provided?

Please go to check if there are any CD/DVD related software or burning programs installed. If so, please remove them.

After that, please remove and reinstall the CD/DVD driver from the Dell site.

If the above steps not help, it may cause by the corrupted CD drive. You need to change a new one.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:03 AM