Question

• Hi 

i have Windows server 2012 R2 on a Hyper-V 

on the server i have 4 users:

Administrator

User1

User2

User3

i want to test AD and DNS server so it was some problems so i have desactivated AD and DNS server

NOW i have only 1 registred and active User : Administrator.Myservername

on C:\user\

i have 5 user: Administrator, User1 User2 User3 and Administrator.Myservername

when i surch for old users on the registry they are on some directory like S-1-5-21 xxxxx

and the user are still on the group policy for the test Domain

HOW can i reactivate the users it is importent to keep them 

Thank you

Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if you promote the first server to domain controller local user accounts will be converted into domain users and added to the users container in AD UC.

If you then demote the domain controller and it becomes workgroup server again ONLY the Administrator account will reverted to a local account. All the others are lost.

So if you don't have a backup from the server before you have to create the local accounts again.

This is NOT a bug, this is normal behavior.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

• Edited by Meinolf Weber Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by MDJosef Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:33 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:30 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about Active Directory accounts missing, or the fact that you don't see user profiles in the "C:\Users" directory?  Two totally and distinctly different things.  If you're talking about user profiles, then I wouldn't expect to see any 'user' created profiles on a domain controller anyway; a domain 'user' by default is not allowed to locally or remotely sign into/onto a domain controller.  Please be more specific about what you are seeing, where you're seeing it and what you believe the issue is.

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.

• Marked as answer by MDJosef Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MDJosef Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:56 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:33 PM
  • befor i installed Active directory i had the 4 users accounts

now after installing and deinstalling Active directory i have only the one user : Administrator.myservername

i want to reactivate the lost user accounts

• Edited by MDJosef Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:01 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:00 PM
  • Hello,

if you promote the first server to domain controller local user accounts will be converted into domain users and added to the users container in AD UC.

If you then demote the domain controller and it becomes workgroup server again ONLY the Administrator account will reverted to a local account. All the others are lost.

So if you don't have a backup from the server before you have to create the local accounts again.

This is NOT a bug, this is normal behavior.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

• Edited by Meinolf Weber Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by MDJosef Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:33 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:30 PM