none
Exchange 2013 GAL not updating

Question

• Anytime we have a name change, new employee or employee termination, the GAL doesn't update right away.  The changes are made in EAC.  Any suggestions? 

Please keep in mind, I am not "Exchange savvy", so please keep your suggestions as simple as possible.  Thanks :)

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you switch an Outlook client to online mode, i.e., turn off cached mode, does the change take effect right away?  Same for OWA.  I'm pretty sure you'll find that to be the case.

Cached mode users work off an offline address book.  The OAB has to be generated on the generating server, which is a scheduled activity, then copied to the OAB mailbox, and then Outlook has its own schedule for downloading the OAB.  So expect that it can take a day or two for users to see the changes.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Thanks, it does eventually update.  It would be nice if there was any easy way to "force" it to update...
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Ask and yee shall receive. 

Update-OfflineAddressBook -Identity "YOUR OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK NAME"

• Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:36 PM
  • You can increase the work cycle frequency for the OAB generator.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124719(v=exchg.150).aspx

Users can click Send/Receive > Send/Receive Groups > Download Address Book... to get updates or they can just restart Outlook.

More is here.  It's last updated for Outlook 2010; I don't know if there is an updated version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/841273

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:41 PM
  • I have tried send/receive>send/receive groups>download address book as well as restarting outlook.  There is still a lag. 

I will work on following the instructions to change the work cycle frequency for the OAB generator.  Thanks!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:04 PM
  • or completely disregard my response, that's cool too.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:09 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.  Please feel free to mark responses as helpful and/or the answer as appropriate.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:10 PM