none
System Center Essentials and Data Protection Manager ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Just bought a couple of Dell PowerEdges, running Hyper-v under Windows 2012.

Was presuming that I'd go down the BackupExec route, but understand that backup of Windows 2012 is still in Beta for BEX, so looking at alternatives.

The physical servers will be running 2x VMs each:-

Physical Server 1:  VM1 - SBS 2011 Standard, VM2 -  Windows 2012 standard as file server

Physical server 2: VM3 - SBS 2011 Premium add-on (i.e. SQL Server) , VM4 - Windows 2012 standard for RDS and print server

Dell supplied System Center Essentials 2010 licenses for both the Hyper-v hosts and all four VMs. What Data Protection Manager options do I have for backup, or is DPM only an option for the "full" SCE product ?

I look forward to your feedback/guidance.

Kind regards

SLIM

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:09 PM

All replies

• System Center Essentials 2010 and Data Protection Manager 2010 do not support Windows 2012 or Windows 8 systems.

Randall

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Hi Randall

Many thanks for your swift reply.

I have no reason to doubt you, but it does rather prompt the question as to why Dell specified them as part of our solution !

Clearly we have a mixed Windows server environment (2008 for the SBS VMs, 2012 for everything else).

Do I have any DPM backup options for the Windows 2008 elements ?

Kind regards

SLIM

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:07 AM