SQL 2008 server not starting after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am experiencing a strange problem. If our new server starts or restarts the MSSQL server fails to start. If I go into services and enter in the password in and press apply it then allows the service to start. Does anybody know a fix for this as it is really annoying and I cannot understand what going on as it is a brand new SQL server.

Regards

M

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi SQLUSA

Think I may have solved it now, your note above made me think as i had tried it with the local account but it still didn't seem to work. So I created a brand new local account and set it to use that and now it seems to working fine......it's early days yet, however I have restarted the server a couple of times and it started ok twice.

Cheers for your help everybody.

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    • Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• If it is failed what error do you see in Event Viewer? 
    Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Uri

The error that comes up is The MsDtsServer100 service was unable to logon as useraccount with the currently configured password

Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

If I go and open up services then go to Sql Server (mssqlserver) and reenter the password into the logon details it then starts up fine and runs until the next reboot.

Kind Regards

M

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:32 AM
  • HI Mark !

Please make sure your MS SQL Server Service startup type is set to "Automatic" and Log On you provide UserName as "Domain\UserName" and enter Password is set. Reverify your service by restarting it.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks,
    Hasham

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Hasham

Have done steps you have said above and nope as soon as the server reboots you have to go and re enter the password, it then tells you that the account has permission to start service but as soon as you reboot we are back to entering in the password again.

It is as if the reboot is resetting just that password.

Kind Regards

Mark

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hi Mark !

See if this resolves your issue;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365941.aspx

Also it seems issue is related to Operating System i.e; Windows Server not with MS SQL Server. Please also specify your Oerating system.

Thanks, Hasham

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Hasham

Thanks for the reply. The password has never been changed, it's a brand new install of windows 2008 r2 and sql 2008 r2. The account is also set to not have the password expire, so the password policy does not interfere.

I have seen on the web that other people have actually experienced the same problem and it seems to have started in sql 2000 and continued through out the versions since then. The problem is it is very annoying because if I'm not about no one else has the rights to get it running again.

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Any progress?

Just for experimenting can you try with logon set to Local System?

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hi Sqlusa

Nope 'fraid not, it just refuses to restart after a reboot, what you have to do is go to services, go to the service and retype the password. It then tells you it has permissions to start the service and it will start. The password has not changed or anything. I'm at a loss.

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Can you change the logon account to Local System in SS Configuration Manager?

Right Click server service, Log On page, Built-in Accounts, Local System.   Restart.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi SQLUSA

Think I may have solved it now, your note above made me think as i had tried it with the local account but it still didn't seem to work. So I created a brand new local account and set it to use that and now it seems to working fine......it's early days yet, however I have restarted the server a couple of times and it started ok twice.

Cheers for your help everybody.

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    • Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that you always use the SQL Server Configuration Manager in SQL 2008+  and SQL Server Surface Area configuration for SQL 2005 to set up/change service accounts/password. These tools are designed to set the necessary permission for service accounts. services.msc does not work well except if you know all other settings.

I hope it helps.

J.

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Hi Janos

I'm afraid I didn't use this I did it through services as I didn't install the server it was done by an external company. It seems to be functioning correctly though as I have not had anybody complain yet ...still time to though :O)

Thanks very much for the information.

Kind Regards Mark Petch
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:47 PM