none
Microsoft Project 2010 baseline update changes baseline history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I use Microsoft Project 2010 to gather the data I require (Extract the data) for EV calculations (I take the BCWS and BCWP data) and so I use the task usage view and copy the monthly baseline data hours at whatever WBS level I require from MSP to Excel. A prerequisite to this is setting the baseline which I do in the standard way (Project->set baseline->entire project). Once the baseline has been set its almost certain the baseline will change in the future requiring baseline updates and so I make forecast baseline updates to new (un-started) work packages only (past the status date). The problem is, when I update the
    baseline I am finding this updates the past history baseline figures too (I am only updating selected tasks/work packages not the entire schedule). As I am only changing forecast baseline this shouldn't be updating the baseline history, only what is in the future?
    If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.

Regards

Jason

• Edited by JasonPie Friday, June 5, 2015 7:45 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Thanks for your quick response and I think we're on the same page here.

Yes, im aware project can store multiple baselines but the process im following means i manage one baseline only and I maintain the baseline with baseline change control. I maintain the baseline for forecast work pacakges only (unstarted) and not tasks/work packages in progress or in the current period therefore I would not expect any historic baseline data to change if i am not updating historic baseline data.

I followed the link you provided and this is the problem im facing, I have been searching for weeks for the answer so thank you for your help.

For anyone else having baseline issues, where the timephased baseline data is incorrect you need to install the latest update which was relesased May 2013 and the below is a detailed description.

(see:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2553251)

• When you roll up baseline values from selected tasks into all summary tasks, the time-phased baseline work and cost values may be incorrect. For example, suppose that over a series of days, the time-phased baseline work values on the summary task are 4h, 2h, 8h, 0h, and 2.5h. After you save the baseline, the values may change to something like 4h, 4.13h, 4.13h, 4.13h, and 4.13h.
    • Marked as answer by JasonPie Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:23 PM

All replies

• Baseline data is not stored over time dimension, if you are updating it then obviously you are overwriting it.

We use multiple baselines for BCWS and BCWP and EV calculations for a given time period

However before we over write our baselines for next time period, we take a back up of previous baseline data (4 backups atleast)

Unless I am missing some thing, I guess you in the same boat. Historical data has to be backed up before you overwrite new data into baseline

Srikanth Bogadapati

Please mark as answered if this answered your question, or mark as helpful if this is helpful

• Edited by SB97 Friday, June 5, 2015 3:02 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Jason,

I assume you are aware that Project can store up to 11 separate groups of baseline data, the normal Baseline fields and then the Baseline1 through 10 fields. If you have changes to the baseline you should consider saving new baseline data to one of the extra baseline groups.

Updating the baseline only for unstarted tasks will NOT change the baseline on any other tasks, except, it will roll up those changes to the summary tasks. Is that what you mean by updating "past history baseline figures too"? If you are finding that non-summary baseline data is being changed when you have not selected those tasks for update then you probably don't have all the latest fixes installed for Project. Make sure you are up to date (see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx)

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your quick response and I think we're on the same page here.

Yes, im aware project can store multiple baselines but the process im following means i manage one baseline only and I maintain the baseline with baseline change control. I maintain the baseline for forecast work pacakges only (unstarted) and not tasks/work packages in progress or in the current period therefore I would not expect any historic baseline data to change if i am not updating historic baseline data.

I followed the link you provided and this is the problem im facing, I have been searching for weeks for the answer so thank you for your help.

For anyone else having baseline issues, where the timephased baseline data is incorrect you need to install the latest update which was relesased May 2013 and the below is a detailed description.

(see:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2553251)

• When you roll up baseline values from selected tasks into all summary tasks, the time-phased baseline work and cost values may be incorrect. For example, suppose that over a series of days, the time-phased baseline work values on the summary task are 4h, 2h, 8h, 0h, and 2.5h. After you save the baseline, the values may change to something like 4h, 4.13h, 4.13h, 4.13h, and 4.13h.
    • Marked as answer by JasonPie Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Hi Srikanth,

Thanks for your reply.

I am updating forecast data only, so baseline data in the future, and therefore this should not update historical baseline data.

I manage one baseline only and maintain this with baseline change control so I can always get back to the orginal baseline and I am happy to over write future baseline information if the plan does not reflect reality and reflects the approved baseline change note.

Thanks for your response

Jason

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Jason,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:34 PM