Stock Exchange Gadget Missing in Windows 7 RTM - Where to Get? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 RC provided a stock exchange gadget. Now I've updated to Windows 7 RTM and can't find that gadget anymore. It's even not available from the Microsoft online gallery.

Where is it gone? Can it be downloaded somewhere?

Thanks for enlightening me.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:07 PM

Answers

• Open the DVD. Open the sources folder and look for for a big file of about 2.5 GB called "install.wim".

Mount that file with imagex from WAIK or extract it with WINRAR or 7zip (7zip works I'm not sure about winrar) to your hard drive. First copy "install.wim" to the hard drive and then extract it. You will need 40 GB of disk space to do this. If you extract it you will see 5 folders and an xml file. The folders are numbered 1 through 5. The xml file has the index for what number folder goes to what version of windows - home premium, starter, ultimate etc.. Delete all the folders except the ultimate folder, you know which one from the xml. Inside that folder is an expanded image of window 7 ultimate just as it appears installed on your system partition. Browse to \Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and copy the stock market gadget to the corresponding folder in your system partition. 

Another method that may work: download this program called ImageX GUI http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/#DownloadsBeta
    and mount the install.wim. Browse for your gadget and copy to the appropriate folder.
    Warning: This program is easy to use but is not 100% reliable.

Good luck.
    • Marked as answer by BetterToday Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:31 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:01 AM

All replies

• The developers from time to time make assessments as to what extra features should be included with retail products such as Windows 7. These decisions are based upon but not entirely evaluation feadback. If you want that gadget it is located in the RC's  drive:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets folder so if you have an installed or expanded image of the RC you can copy this gadget to the folder highlighted in bold above.
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BetterToday Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by BetterToday Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BetterToday Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:44 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Phew... I've just thrown that Windows 7 RC DVD-R into the dustbin and deleted the download for the RTM version.... :/

But at least I could save the DVD-R... Yet I don't have a running installation of Windows 7 anymore. Do you perhaps know where that gadget might be stored on this DVD-R?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Open the DVD. Open the sources folder and look for for a big file of about 2.5 GB called "install.wim".

Mount that file with imagex from WAIK or extract it with WINRAR or 7zip (7zip works I'm not sure about winrar) to your hard drive. First copy "install.wim" to the hard drive and then extract it. You will need 40 GB of disk space to do this. If you extract it you will see 5 folders and an xml file. The folders are numbered 1 through 5. The xml file has the index for what number folder goes to what version of windows - home premium, starter, ultimate etc.. Delete all the folders except the ultimate folder, you know which one from the xml. Inside that folder is an expanded image of window 7 ultimate just as it appears installed on your system partition. Browse to \Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and copy the stock market gadget to the corresponding folder in your system partition. 

Another method that may work: download this program called ImageX GUI http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/#DownloadsBeta
    and mount the install.wim. Browse for your gadget and copy to the appropriate folder.
    Warning: This program is easy to use but is not 100% reliable.

Good luck.
    • Marked as answer by BetterToday Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:31 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Great! Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge with me!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Your welcome BT, I had fun with this one. Thanks again.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:36 AM