word says file is locked by the SAME user trying to open it, but its actually opened by another user RRS feed

• Question

• Person X has FOO.doc open.

Person Y goes to open FOO.doc.

Pop up on Person Y screen, "can not open file, already opened by person Y"

Person X closes file.

Person Y opens file no problem. 

So its not the preview pane issue. 

And this happens no matter who attempt to open if its already opened, it always says this ONE user is the person using it. 

Both systems fully up to date. Network share from Server 2008. All meta data cleared for doc. 

In short, no matter WHO has this file open or WHO tries to open it, it says person Y has it open when it is opened. There are naturally no issues when its closed anyone can open it and it does save meta editor names.

I've also changed the owner in NTFS and this has no impact. Clearing doc meta data, has no impact.

This problem here is when its left open, the incorrect name shows up (the same name every time) so staff has no clue where to go to close the file. 

Yes, I've read many threads here and tried those that apply, none have resolved it. 

Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hello darrensimon,

This is a bug in Windows 7 (maybe 8 and Server as well). One of my customers are sometimes affected by this. I have not a perfect solution but I've arranged so that the IT responsible person on that company can access the server where the files reside through RDP (Remote Desktop). Already open is there Shared Folders->Open Files. This gives the IT responsible person means to force closing of an already saved file that for some (bug) reason stays in the cache (MS loves cache but never updates them) and falsely claims the file is open.

Please try! Shared Folders are reached by right-clicking Computer and select Manage.

Best regards George

Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hello darrensimon,

This is a bug in Windows 7 (maybe 8 and Server as well). One of my customers are sometimes affected by this. I have not a perfect solution but I've arranged so that the IT responsible person on that company can access the server where the files reside through RDP (Remote Desktop). Already open is there Shared Folders->Open Files. This gives the IT responsible person means to force closing of an already saved file that for some (bug) reason stays in the cache (MS loves cache but never updates them) and falsely claims the file is open.

Please try! Shared Folders are reached by right-clicking Computer and select Manage.

Best regards George

Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Hello again darrensimon,

How's the status? Got it working?

Did any help here solve your problem? If so please give credit to the one provided the answer for you. Questions marked as Answered are a great help for people searching for answers like you did.

Best regards George

Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Thanks George, I'm aware how to mitigate the issue. 

The client wants an actual solution for the problem not a work-a-round. I've made them aware its a suspected bug already and that was not an acceptable answer. 

If it us a bug, then its a pretty fundamental function of Office that MS needs to address otherwise the entire purpose of having the "file already open" dialog is pointless. 

Closing this thread as answered will help no one as its not been answered. Leaving it open will in fact better inform others searching so they will know that in all likelihood it IS an unresolved issue. Others might find your work-a-round helpful so I appreciate your contribution. 

Sunday, December 28, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Closing this thread as answered will help no one as its not been answered. Leaving it open will in fact better inform others searching so they will know that in all likelihood it IS an unresolved issue. Others might find your work-a-round helpful so I appreciate your contribution. 

Since you are the original poster, you should be able to Unmark the answer.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:59 PM