none
Pre-installed windows 8.1 will not activate - no error message RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an HP laptop with windows 8.1 pre-installed.

The message 'your licence will expire soon' keeps appearing on my screen and when I click activate I see the loading animation for a while and then the message again. I get no error code.

I did not do any kind of hardware upgrade nor software update.

Should I worry?

• Edited by DVouth Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I doubt if your product is OEM key although you said the Windows is preinstalled due to the OEM key will not expire.

Therefore, we suggest you run "slmgr/dlv" in command prompt to determine whether it is the OEM key type. If it is, you need to contact the manufacturer to get the right key.

If it is the Volume License, you need to check the license resource because the Volume license will expire. If your system is really preinstalled, it will not use Volume License but OEM key. For this condition, you need to contact to your manufacturer to switch the key type.

However, you can use the command "slmgr –rearm" to activate again temporarily, but this command just can activate 3 times for the current key.

Good luck with you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DVouth Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:18 AM

All replies

• Contact the Windows Activation team.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I doubt if your product is OEM key although you said the Windows is preinstalled due to the OEM key will not expire.

Therefore, we suggest you run "slmgr/dlv" in command prompt to determine whether it is the OEM key type. If it is, you need to contact the manufacturer to get the right key.

If it is the Volume License, you need to check the license resource because the Volume license will expire. If your system is really preinstalled, it will not use Volume License but OEM key. For this condition, you need to contact to your manufacturer to switch the key type.

However, you can use the command "slmgr –rearm" to activate again temporarily, but this command just can activate 3 times for the current key.

Good luck with you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DVouth Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:18 AM