Items disappear from Win7 Program List when desktop shotcut for item is deleted from desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• Items disappear from Win7 Professional Program List when desktop shotcut for item is deleted from desktop. For example...If one right-clicks on Start / All Programs / Microsoft Office / Microsoft Office Word 2007 then clicks on the option Send to / Desktop, Win7 will create a desktop shortcut to Word 2007 on the Win7 desktop. If later one right-clicks on the Word 2007 desktop shortcut then clicks on delete to delete the Word 2007 desktop shortcut, Word 2007 will be simultaneously deleted from the Program list. At this point there is no way to launch Word 2007 until one reinstalls Microsoft Office 2007. How can one stop this behavior from occuring as I believe no item should ever be deleted from the program list when one deletes a desktop shortcut for the item in the program list.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

I just performed some tests on our machines, I didn’t encounter the problem that you described. As I understand, Send To is creating a new program shortcut, it doesn’t send the original shortcut from Start Menu to Desktop. Only if you dragged the shortcut from Programs folder (%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)to Desktop folder (%SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\Desktop), the shortcut will be missing if you delete it in the Desktop folder.

It seems that Send To performs the dragging behavior in your Operating System. To work around this problem, I would like to suggest:

1.     Test other programs and see if the issue appears.

2.     Manually copy the shortcut from Programs folder to Desktop folder, then delete the shortcut in Desktop folder to test.

3.     Create another Send to path, and send to the new location to test:

1)    Open the Send To folder: %SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo.

2)    Right click the blank area, click New, click Shortcut.

3)    Click Browse to locate the path: D:\Test, etc.

4)    Send to a program from Start Menu to D:\Test.

4.     Create a new user account for test.

Moreover, you can take the following steps to re-create shortcuts on Start Menu after deleting them.

1)    Open the program installation folder. For example, Microsoft Word installation folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12.

2)    Find the WINWORD.EXE, right click it and click pin to Start Menu. Or create shortcut.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, August 6, 2010 7:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

I just performed some tests on our machines, I didn’t encounter the problem that you described. As I understand, Send To is creating a new program shortcut, it doesn’t send the original shortcut from Start Menu to Desktop. Only if you dragged the shortcut from Programs folder (%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)to Desktop folder (%SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\Desktop), the shortcut will be missing if you delete it in the Desktop folder.

It seems that Send To performs the dragging behavior in your Operating System. To work around this problem, I would like to suggest:

1.     Test other programs and see if the issue appears.

2.     Manually copy the shortcut from Programs folder to Desktop folder, then delete the shortcut in Desktop folder to test.

3.     Create another Send to path, and send to the new location to test:

1)    Open the Send To folder: %SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo.

2)    Right click the blank area, click New, click Shortcut.

3)    Click Browse to locate the path: D:\Test, etc.

4)    Send to a program from Start Menu to D:\Test.

4.     Create a new user account for test.

Moreover, you can take the following steps to re-create shortcuts on Start Menu after deleting them.

1)    Open the program installation folder. For example, Microsoft Word installation folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12.

2)    Find the WINWORD.EXE, right click it and click pin to Start Menu. Or create shortcut.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, August 6, 2010 7:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, August 6, 2010 7:10 AM
  • I have been having similar issues. It doesn't happen with every program. However, as one example, Acronis TrueImage automatically installs two icons on the desktop. I try to keep my desktop more or less free of program icons, preferring to have them in the Start menu or pinned to the taskbar. However, when I deleted the two shortcut icons mentioned, the one for Acronis Online Backup disappeared from the Start menu when I deleted the shortcut from the desktop. Oddly, the icon for Acronis TrueImage Home remained in the Start menu when I deleted the shortcut from the desktop.

I've had similar experiences with other programs, such as TuneUp Utilities, etc. so this is not an issue for just one program. When I try to locate the missing icon somewhere within the program files so I can reconnect it, I can't seem to find it.

This annoying behavior makes me cringe every time I remove an unwanted desktop shortcut.

• Proposed as answer by RHinNH Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Found a cure for the issue. I'm running Win 7 64-bit, and noticed another thread about the same issue. There's a solution that involves running a simple bat file after deleting the IconCache.db from the user profile. This solution is given by user artnoir at the following thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/3fb5be69-105a-40ca-a0ca-695b8bad41f8

It may be that the issue first described in this thread is not precisely what mine was, but this may help.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:08 PM